What should I do with my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUMonkeyBoy

Reaction score
I have been doing extract for the last year and I want to start doing all grain. I have an empty keg sitting around. Advice is welcome and needed.

Make it a brewpot. Stainless steel boil kettles can get pretty expensive, especially a 15.5 gallon kettle. Of course this is probably going to move you outside with a propane burner. I'd make your keg a keggle, that's what I did. A mash tun is cheap to make so don't use it for that, not at this point.

You'll probably want to get a sight glass and 1/2" full port ball valve. You'll have to cut a hole in the top of the keg and drill two holes, one for the sight glass and one for ball valve. If you don't have the tools, you can get an angle grinder from Harbor freight with and a pack of cutting and grinding disks for about $30 and a step drill bit kit to drill the holes for around $13.

If you're interested in that idea there are a lot of DIY instructionals on YouTube and HBT. Somebody here will probably direct you to those if you are interested. I would but just haven't figured out how to put YouTube videos on here, yet.

It's useless, you should give it me! ;)

I say keggle! It's kinda the most expensive piece of the puzzle for what you'll probably be doing. Just make sure you get the top cut out neatly so it looks uniform. As a welder it drives me crazy to see a roughly hacked out keg top. Just sayin. I don't really think you'll need a sight gauge. On a BK it will get dirty and you will be looking right down in the top of the kettle anyway. Save the sight gauge for the HLT. Cheers.

Back