What should I do in this situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdavids1

Reaction score
Hello Guys

I had recently attempted my first mead, 4.5 kgs honey, 3 oranges, raisins, ec1118, and tap water to fill my bucket to the 3 gallon mark.

It fermented slowly for about 1.5 weeks then stopped bubbling, in my naivety i left it till the 2 week mark and proceeded to rack to secondary without measuring the gravity. Doing so I took a small glass of the product and tasted it and it was still quite sweet.

Wanting to save the mead i left it in the secondary for a few days and the activity appeared to still be ceased, long story short I ended up pitching a different yeast ec1116 and adding a few more raisins. Now i can see activity again and the airlock is once again bubbling, albeit slowly.

My question is.... when this finally finishes fermenting, what should I do with it. Should I let it bulk age in the 3 gallon better bottle, or should I move it quickly into my large bucket, empty the lees and clean my 3 gallon bottle, then quickly move it back to let it age without the lees in the bottle?

Also, will it be a problem that I used 2 different yeasts.?

Yeastwise, I think you're fine. I would rack it off the yeast if you're going to age it in the carboy. If possible, fill the containers with CO2 first, to avoid oxidation.

Back