What should I do? -- final gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhamsteelerfan

Reaction score
I am currently brewing a british IPA from extract. I used 8.8 pounds of pilsen malt extract along with some steeping grains (12 oz. crystal 60, 2 oz. roasted barley, and 2 oz. smoked malt) and used White Labs British Ale Yeast. I created a yeast starter about two days before brewing day. Action in the airlock was pretty vigorous for a week or so. Beer has been in the fermentation bucket for about 16 days now. I just checked took a hydrometer reading and was disappointed to discover it read 1.020. I can't figure out what I did wrong or what I can do at this point (I'm still a relative newbie -- have done about four brews so far).

I do have a pack of Safale s-04. I was wondering if I should pitch it in there to get the final gravity down. Thoughts? Advice?

Was your starter sufficient according to one of the starter calculators?
What was the wort temperature during active fermentation?
What temperature is the wort now?

Take another SG reading in a week. More time in the primary may let the yeast finish their work and take the SG lower.

From what it looks like your beer is finished. You have a ABV of 7.61% and an attenuation of 73%. White Labs lists WLP005 British Ale Yeast as having an attenuation of 67-74%, making your attenuation very good.

Is the higher FG necessarily bad? The sample I had tasted pretty good, and I expect it will taste pretty darn good after some dry hopping and a few weeks of conditioning.

Is the higher FG necessarily bad? The sample I had tasted pretty good, and I expect it will taste pretty darn good after some dry hopping and a few weeks of conditioning.

it's not bad. extract beer sometimes ends a bit higher than anticipated for reasons that someone smarter than me can explain.

Not necessarily, if it tastes good it IS good! I'm sure when it's fully aged and hopped it will be a darn good beer. :mug:

Latest posts

Back