What should I brew based on this criteria?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
After brewing for about 4 years, I took a 5 year 'break'. In that time I've moved to CO, had two kids and acquired a brew system from my uncle. I'm looking for suggestions on what to brew for my return to brewing batch based on two things: grain I have on hand and ferment temp.

Inventory:
6lbs. M15 liquid Belgian pale extract
6lbs Munich 1
10lbs maris otter
16lbs 2 row pale
20-25lbs crystal 60L
40lbs pilsner malt
85lbs Munich 2
55lbs pale ale

Now temp; part of my uncles brew system is a thermoelectrically cooled conical which can go 25 below ambient. It will be in my garage, and obviously it's summer so ferment temps need to be in very high 60s or 70s since garage is probably about 90-95.

Was hoping to start eating into that Munich 2 grain.

Any suggestions?

It depends on what you like. With your ferment temp limitations, I'd say get some Belgian yeast, but that kind of flavor/character isn't everyone's favorite.
You've got lots of pale ale malt, can try to brew an pale ale with English or American yeast, I know people have used those at 70F and higher. I like to ferment ales in the low 60's.
You should consider getting better temp control ASAP, then you can brew whatever style you want in the summer.

After brewing for about 4 years, I took a 5 year 'break'. In that time I've moved to CO, had two kids and acquired a brew system from my uncle. I'm looking for suggestions on what to brew for my return to brewing batch based on two things: grain I have on hand and ferment temp.

Inventory:
6lbs Munich 1
10lbs maris otter
16lbs 2 row pale
20-25lbs crystal 60L
40lbs pilsner malt
85lbs Munich 2
55lbs pale ale

Now temp; part of my uncles brew system is a thermoelectrically cooled conical which can go 25 below ambient. It will be in my garage, and obviously it's summer so ferment temps need to be in very high 60s or 70s since garage is probably about 90-95.

Any suggestions?

Holy crap!!! You get start a lhbs with that inventory. Seriously, you could do whatever you want. I would go for the standard APA if it were me but I love them.

Inventory:
6lbs Munich 1
10lbs maris otter
16lbs 2 row pale
20-25lbs crystal 60L
40lbs pilsner malt
85lbs Munich 2
55lbs pale ale

Any suggestions?

Saisons all the way, you have more than enough inventory to make great brews especially if you're trying to use Munich

60% Pale Malt
20% Munich
20% Plain Table Sugar

Belgian yeast (Duvel/Chimay/Anchouffe/Any)

See what temps you can get from your system before you try using an American or English Yeast. Most Belgians will tolerate high temps (mid 80s).

If you have active cooling, a number of American and English yeasts can be used up to 70 F.

Madscientist; I live in Denver so it's really only July/august where my garage is 90s. 6 months out of year it's 70/80s and the other 4 months it could be anywhere from 45-70. This leaves plenty opportunity to do most styles of beer most of the year. I'm just anxious to get my 'return to brewing' batch in.
Also, I haven't met many beers I don't like, so I'm open to anything. Mainly just want to start using that Munich 2.

Catdaddy; yeh my uncle brewed about 20 times a year for 20 years now (on this system). He did bulk grain buys with his homebrew club, so he just had a lot left over since he slowed down the last 6 months to get house ready to sell. He generally kept a few hundred pounds of base grain on hand. Here is the inventory, nicely stored in dog food containers and labeled.

I had never done a saison in my previous homebrew days; any good recipes?

IMG_1911.jpg

Latest posts

Back