What post boil volume do you shoot for to get 5 Gal into your keg/bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I've had a few issues with dialing in the right post boil volume I need to net me 5 Gal to rack into my bottling bucket, seems I'm way under shooting it ie coming up with 4-4.5 Gal in my bottling bucket after racking. I know some loss is leaving wort in the fermenter and coming in low post boil as I leave in the bk more than expected due to hop gunk. I just upped my pre boil volume to 7 Gal which should net me 5.5 and between losing some to the bk, dry hopping and yeast cake I figure this should get me in the 5 Gal area, since I've only done 3 AG batches everything I do is still a work in progress. What volume do you shoot for that just about guarantees you'll have your desired amount either to bottle or keg.

I usually shoot for 6 gallons in the primary, and 6.5 if I'm making an IPA. After racking to a secondary and then to the bottling bucket, I end up with right about 5 gallons in the bottles.

I've had a few issues with dialing in the right post boil volume I need to net me 5 Gal to rack into my bottling bucket, seems I'm way under shooting it ie coming up with 4-4.5 Gal in my bottling bucket after racking. I know some loss is leaving wort in the fermenter and coming in low post boil as I leave in the bk more than expected due to hop gunk. I just upped my pre boil volume to 7 Gal which should net me 5.5 and between losing some to the bk, dry hopping and yeast cake I figure this should get me in the 5 Gal area, since I've only done 3 AG batches everything I do is still a work in progress. What volume do you shoot for that just about guarantees you'll have your desired amount either to bottle or keg.[/QUOTE]

About .5 gal more than my target net. Measure your "gunk", fermentor loss, line loss etc and add it to your formula. With 3 AG batches in, you're still dialing it in, measure take notes, brew, repeat.

I leave 1 gallon in the boil kettle, and .5 gallon in the fermenter, so post boil, it's 1-1/2 gallons for me.

I leave 1 gallon in the boil kettle, and .5 gallon in the fermenter, so post boil, it's 1-1/2 gallons for me.

Wow, why so much?

I shoot for 6 gallons post boil. .25 in the kettle . 25 left in the fermenter. I have some wiggle room.

Will upping my pre boil volume say it calls for 6.5 but I want to go 7 or 7.5 change the final OG I'm targeting?????

5.5 gallons into the bucket unless its a beer im dry hopping with whole leaf i add another .25 g to make up for hop absorption.

Will upping my pre boil volume say it calls for 6.5 but I want to go 7 or 7.5 change the final OG I'm targeting?????

Yes you need to use a tool like Beersmith or BrewersFriend to properly scale your recipe. Usually its just a bit more base malt.

Yes you need to use a tool like Beersmith or BrewersFriend to properly scale your recipe. Usually its just a bit more base malt.

Ok thanks I never really thought about the increase in volume affecting the body of the beer but it would make since. Think its time to get beersmith.

I plan for 5.3gal post-boil and typically end up just about perfectly filling a Corny between minimal trub with homegrown whole leaf hops and nice firm yeast cakes.

I put my hops in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag so I lose very little to trub. I collect just over 7 gallons preboil to end up with just over 5 gallons in my Better Bottle. I then end up with just the right amount for my kegs. So it total I am leaving behind about 12 - 24 ounces in the BK and trub. Probably closer to 12 in most brews.

I used a homemade hop spider last batch and lost maybe. 25 gal to hop trunk so that helped. I got the 21 day trial at beersmith and am even more confused now after punching in some numbers it told me that my preboil needed to be 8.2 gal to yield 7 gal post boil but when I made a recipe it said I had a 7 gal preboil to yield 6.5 post boil then with trub loss I'd have 5.5 into the fermenter. I don't get it. All I'm trying to figure out is what does my pre boil volume need to be for me to get 5.5 gal into the fermenter while keeping efficiency at 72-75%

I used a homemade hop spider last batch and lost maybe. 25 gal to hop trunk so that helped. I got the 21 day trial at beersmith and am even more confused now after punching in some numbers it told me that my preboil needed to be 8.2 gal to yield 7 gal post boil but when I made a recipe it said I had a 7 gal preboil to yield 6.5 post boil then with trub loss I'd have 5.5 into the fermenter. I don't get it. All I'm trying to figure out is what does my pre boil volume need to be for me to get 5.5 gal into the fermenter while keeping efficiency at 72-75%

You need to enter all your equipment into your equipment profile....
Go to "insert" in the upper toolbar. click on equipment wizard in the drop down menu, enter all your equipment, name the profile and save it.
Then when you download a new recipe, click on equipment on the recipe page and change it to your equipment. It will automatically re-adjust all the volumes and quantities to match your equipment and efficiency.

As acidrain mentions... You need to enter your quipment. I find the default boil off rate was too high. That will affect your calculations.

Cheers,
Jim

As acidrain mentions... You need to enter your quipment. I find the default boil off rate was too high. That will affect your calculations.

Cheers,
Jim

Went back and played around with it and figured it out. Brewing right now so I'm gonna measure all my boil off, trunk post boil to get good accurate measurements. I do like the program though. Helped with hitting the right ibu's and pre volume of water.

I made a spreadsheet to approximate my volumes because it bugs the daylights out of me when I don't create enough trub-free wort. I have the following assumptions:

1) Grain creates 0.04 gallons / lb of trub. This is obviously an estimate, as the crush and type of grain can really change this.
2) Pellet hops in the kettle create 0.12 gallons / oz. This seems to be pretty consistent, and assumes you aren't using a bag of any sort. I've never used whole hops but I imagine it's 2-3x higher.

Using those numbers and my boiloff rate, I can adjust my recipe until I know for sure I'll be able to get enough clear wort out of the kettle. I have the whole sheet if anyone wants it.

I really think the answer is, 'It depends...". For my 5 gallon batches, I always have pre-boil volume @ 7.5 gallons. I typically boil off 1.5 gallons over 60 minutes (this will vary depending on how vigorous your boil is), leaving me with 6 gallons post-boil. I typically lose ~1/2 - 1 gallon due to trub and dry-hopping which leaves with with 5, or a tad bit more, at bottling time.

I generally start with about 7.5 gallons and boil off 1.75 gallons, lose about .25 gallon to cold break/trub and bout .25 gallon to yeast and other solids in my fermenter. That gives me a full keg and a little to waste in testing.

Back