What part do I save?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megaboil

Reaction score
New to reusing yeast. What part do I save?

Attachments

• 7905A1C0-D955-4D9A-B1DB-F0681351CC40.jpeg
    7905A1C0-D955-4D9A-B1DB-F0681351CC40.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 52
Washing yeast is a pain. Just save all of the slurry. Once you've racked the beer off, swirl it around a bit to mix it well, and pour it off into a sanitized quart mason jar. You might need two. Each of those is plenty to pitch into another batch, it's even a bit of overpitching since yeast multiply. It negates the need for starters as well.

One thing to guard against; some yeasts do great over many generations, some don't. I've had great luck with Danstar Nottingham up to 7 generations, but not so much with lager yeasts, particularly Fermentis 34/70. Their S-23 I have taken up to 5 with no off-flavors or issues. It's a learning process.

but not so much with lager yeasts, particularly Fermentis 34/70.

What did you run into with 34/70 after how many pitches? This past winter was my first lager seasons, I only pitched two generations before switching back to ales. I've since dumped the jar of yeast because it was taking up space and I have a few fresh packets on hand anyway. Just curious for later brews. The only yeast Ive had get really squirrelly on me so far was WL029

I agree about notty. I've had great luck repitching that stuff time and time again.

What did you run into with 34/70 after how many pitches? This past winter was my first lager seasons, I only pitched two generations before switching back to ales. I've since dumped the jar of yeast because it was taking up space and I have a few fresh packets on hand anyway. Just curious for later brews. The only yeast Ive had get really squirrelly on me so far was WL029

I agree about notty. I've had great luck repitching that stuff time and time again.
I hope it's not my storage practices, but 34/70 goes south on me after 3 generations. The last lager I did with it (all of mine are fermented 'warm' at about 66), 4th generation of this yeast, had horrible esters, almost sour; the previous lager was just about perfect. Since lager yeast is pretty much always more expensive than ale, I need to find one that will last more than 3 generations. S-23 is my go-to but it's very hard to come by right now; my LHBS gal can't get any, and Amazon is stupid expensive. I'm going to try Lallemand Diamond Lager for the next one in a few weeks, and see how that one does.

*edit And Notty is my go-to for ALL my ales; I've never had an issue with it. I've taken it up to 7 generations and had no issues. That yeast is a beast.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with it. I always like to get at least three brews from a fresh pack, unless its a one off brew. I may have to try the warm ferment later this year, but I'm enjoying my ales and experimenting with 1007 and kolsch yeasts for the time being. I also love that I can give notty an absolute beating and it always performs well.

Sorry to bring the thread off topic!

I harvested my first yeast (voss kveik) a few weeks ago from an extract summer wheat. I made a starter with some leftover DME and used it again in my first all-grain biab, which was a pale ale. It took off faster than the first time and ripped through it in 48 hours.
I'm debating whether or not to harvest it again for a third generation of the stuff.

That is always the question, and you always run the risk of contamination due to some of the "stuff" you save with it.

Now if you are building starters for your beer, just over build it and save a jar of "clean" yeast before you dump the rest in your beer. With proper sanitation, you should easily go 10 generations of most yeast.

I harvested my first yeast (voss kveik) a few weeks ago from an extract summer wheat. I made a starter with some leftover DME and used it again in my first all-grain biab, which was a pale ale. It took off faster than the first time and ripped through it in 48 hours.
I'm debating whether or not to harvest it again for a third generation of the stuff.
Kveik has been propagated in barns, repitched over and over, for hundreds of years. If it starts giving you trouble after a few repitches, you are probably being too nice to it.

Back