What original pieces of equipment do you still have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
I started brewing 3 years ago with a Extract Brewing kit that I bought off Craigslist.

Since then I have gone to all-grain 10-gallon keggles, and have now gone to a 20 gallon system.

Still have and use my original 8-gallon kettle (as a grant).

Still have my original hydrometer.

Brewing about four years and moved to all grain about two years ago. I still use the original 5 gal kettle to heat strike water and use the fermenting and bottling bucket that came with the kit. Still doing 5 gallon batches. Tubing, racking cane, bottle filler and spigot have been replaced. Hydrometer has been replaced four or five times due to clumsiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

At 17 years, I still have my original carboy. Probably because I quit using carboys! Also still have original kettle and bottling bucket.

I've replaced most of my stuff over the years, but I actually still have my original hydrometer and floating thermometer from 1998. I use a thermapen and refractometer on brew days now, but I do get out the hydrometer to test FG (when I bother to do it). I've also still got one of my original glass carboys. I must have put 200 batches through that guy over the years.

I'm still using the same kettles and mash tun that I was using around 1993. There's been some things added to them in that time, but the same vessels. I still use my malt mill from back then and have the burner I started with, although I rarely use that burner anymore.

I've been brewing 8 years. Still use my original buckets, bottles, wine thief, and air locks. I also still have my original BK but I only use it when decocting.

I have everything that has not worn out, gotten too dirty, stained etc., that I started with. I use most of it from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have mostly the same stuff, with a few additions of course. I have a few buckets that got scratched, and those have been relegated to grain storage or my milling area, but I still use them.

I don't use the 5 gallon MLT, so I gave that to a friend. But I still use my 10 gallon cooler once in a while, for smaller grainbills, and I use it (along with my original stuff) when I brew stove top batches.

I brewed my first and only extract batch in 1992 and my first all-grain beers later that same year.

I can't think of anything I had and used back then that I still use today except an old Craftsman tool box I bought in 1973 that I kept and still keep my small stuff in.

I still have all the equipment from the 2 mr. Beer kits my wife and mom bought me. I've been thinking about using those little fermenters to lager a yuengling clone for my parents

Sent from my SM-N910T using Home Brew mobile app

I'm coming up on year 10...only thing I still have from the beginning is a 5 gal carboy and another 5 gal carboy that came from my great-grandfather, it's at least 80 years old.

We've only been brewing a couple years but still have everything. I put a lot of thought into the setup before spending a dime and went 20g E-HERMS, plate chiller, filter and 8 tap keezer right off the bat.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

The only things I DON'T have are the original Beer Machine kits the kids bought me many, many years ago. I do have the Mr. Beer LBK they bought me a few years ago, along with everything else I've bought since then.

I started brewing 3 years ago with a Extract Brewing kit that I bought off Craigslist.

Since then I have gone to all-grain 10-gallon keggles, and have now gone to a 20 gallon system.

Still have and use my original 8-gallon kettle (as a grant).

Still have my original hydrometer.

Methinks you've just jinxed yourself on the original hydrometer!

I have my original Carboy, and bottling bucket/primary bucket, autosiphon, numerous airlocks. Got my Mr Beer kit in 1998 but didn't brew up anything til January 1999. Went to 5 gallon within a year and All-grain in 2005. Brutus system since 2009(? or 2010?).

Great hobby! Don't want to discuss hydrometers to avoid the jinx curse.

TD

I'm still using the same kettles and mash tun that I was using around 1993. There's been some things added to them in that time, but the same vessels. I still use my malt mill from back then and have the burner I started with, although I rarely use that burner anymore.

+1 on the MaltMill! It was the only thing available back then!

Mine's now motorized and used it again today! Still going strong!

Go Sparty!!!

TD

I think I beat the lot of you. I still have and use for just about every batch three 7 gallon fermenters I bought from Boots in the UK. That was early 80s. I made fruit wines back then. I really like them, not looking forward to using buckets when they finally go. I have some glass carboys too, but I bought them in the States about 20 years ago.

I have about 15 brown glass gallon (Imperial gallon) carboys that I used back in the UK some 30 years ago too. Currently sitting in the crawl space with various sours in them. Perfect size for the crawl space.

I still have many of my airlocks, which are smaller than the ones here in the States; I use them for starters.

I also still have my corker from then + a lot of corks that I doubt I will ever use.

I stil have one of my original racking canes (with new tubing), which is in regular use.

Probably have some other stuff too, but can't think of anything right now.

Brewing since 1997
Still have my original hydrometer, carboys, wing capper and thermometer.

I don't use the wing capper anymore, but the carboys get used often.

I am sure I have a few things.... but, the most impressive would have to be my 18 year old Hydrometer! I will probably break it tomorrow, now that I said it.

Cane, that little black plastic foot thing that goes on the bottom of the cane, the red thing that holds the cane, red plastic wing capper, pot. Two Ale Pails. I should probably replace the one used as a fermenter. It's stained brown and scratched all to hell. An airlock. Maybe some bottles. Glass lasts a long time. Most brew stuff lasts a long time.

And a cardboard box. I use one of the boxes that my original order of bottles came in to hold my aged reserve.

I started brewing about three years ago with the Cooper's DIY kit. I still have all the equipment from that kit and I still use most of it even though I mostly do partial mash and all grain brewing now. I even still bottle a lot of my beer in the Cooper's 750ml PET bottle using the same caps that came with the kit.

I brewed my first "James Page Bavarian Dark" malt extract kit on 01/11/1994. I know this because I still have my original notebook of brewing I began that day.

Brewed the last beer of my extract career, "Negra Dandelo" on 04/15/1997 before taking a hiatus of nearly sixteen years to finish working for a living and not having time to brew all grain. But I finally retired from work and began anew in 2013 with a few extract batches to re-familiarize myself with the process and rapidly moved onto all grain brewing.

When staring up again I dug out my old stuff and found many items.

Among other things I am still using my original bottle tree, hydrometer, a case of heavy 12 oz returnable bottles (and the real old "Old Style" case I keep them in), three glass carboys which I am not afraid to use, carboy handle, brass bottle washer and my pride and joy a "Phil's Philler" which is being used again when I bottle.

Although not used for brewing any more, I have my 5 gal. aluminum pot from 1975. First use was for an extract brew with flaked maize adjunct.

I also have my original bottle capper, definitely NOT being used. I've replaced the mallet that was necessary though.

100_0358-60589.jpg

I still have most of the stuff I started with in use. My Cooper's Microbrew fermenter, bottling bucket, bottling wand, spray bottle & some other odds-n-ends still in use. Keep'em clean & in good repair & they last a long time.:mug:

I've been brewing for 19 years and I have the first two carboys I bought, plus my original wing capper. All still in use.

Wow 1975. Impressive. Interesting tool there. Old bottle crimping tool? Works with mallet?

Yes, you put it over the cap on top of the bottle and hit it with a mallet. Needless to say I used it only on the first batch and then bought a bench capper. Still have that one also.

Latest posts

Back