what my next step should be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
Okay I have been doing all grain for about a 8 months. Single infusion batch sparge. I am ready to go to another level. Maybe start fly sparging or something else so should I get... In what order would you look to upgrade. My efficiency has been betweek 69-74 is %

System to fly sparge HLT and sparge arm etc

Grain mill to start bulk buying

equipment to do 10 gal batches - I have a keg for a keggle. I could get some pumps or make a 3 tier stand.

Bottom line is the hobby is only getting bigger and more fun and I dont want to stop. Just want to expand. Id like to get better efficiency and make bigger batches and do bulk. So what would be the most important thing for you, or something else not on the list.

Assuming you are already controlling fermentation temps, and pitching the correct yeast amounts, I would go with the grain mill. You will be able to increase your efficiency by adjusting your crush, and you can buy in bulk. win win..

yes I do have a fermin fridge with controller. I make starters for yeast with stir plate.

You think ill get more milage with the mill than the fly sparge. Im thinking that also even though ive never fly sparged.

I agree, you probably won't see much difference between batch and fly sparging (I've been through both).

Get a mill, it will save you in bulk grain buys, possibly increase efficiency (something I really don't put much effort into as long as it's consistent) an probably the most likely change that will improve your consistency.

Get the mill. Got a SS 3 roller from monster and my efficiency went up like crazy. Expensive but damn it was worth it and I keep telling myself it is like solar. Large up front cost but with the bulk purchases and decreased gas to get to a home brew store or orders from online, I will easily make that back.

Latest posts

Back