What makes a great brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeffers09

Reaction score
For me hitting above expectation is always a good brew day. How about you, what makes you giddy with joy on your BIAB brew days?

Hopefully not making a giant mess is what makes me happy but... more seriously though (read: realistically speaking) I love the simplicity of it. I no sparge and like the limited amount of steps and equipment needed to brew.

A full fermenter and didn't burn the house down are about the only requirements I have. :mug:

I have to think about every step in brewing beer, focusing on the process frees my mind. I don't think about work, or finances, or the myriad of other daily distractions.
Also I kind of like the ritual of preparing the equipment and materials, monitoring the process, and cleaning up. It is becoming familiar and comforting.

My favorite part isn't necessarily brew day. Instead, it's when I know I have active fermentation. The hiss of the spunding valve going off, or my air lock bubbling, makes me grin every time.

I agree with the fermentation part. I love waking up the next morning, opening the fermentation chamber to take a peak, and breathing a deep breath of that yeasty, hoppy goodness. Puts a big smile on my face. Bonus points if brew day happened to be on Sunday and it is Monday morning before work. Just seems to make going to work that much easier/

Nobody bothering me, no boil overs, hitting my anticipated numbers, and finally all said and done in less than 4.5 hours.

Having it go smoothly without any hiccups. I will agree that active fermentation brings feeling of happiness and anticipation. I'm like a flippin' kid on Christmas that next morning.

No major f-ups or setbacks, comfortable weather and good tunes. That's about it.

That and I really enjoy setting up the evening before. I turn the tunes on, grab a beer or two and take my time putting everything together.

For me it's being able to focus 100% on brewing. When I have to make the kids food or go do some errand at the same time as heating mash water it becomes a bit less fun.

A clean workspace, hitting my mash temperatures exactly, quick and clear sparging, good efficiency, and having the wort aerated and inoculated before I get super tired.

Good music.
Early morning brewing needs good coffee that leads into good beer.
+1 on being left alone.

Having a few pints after pitching yeast. Waking up the morning after and seeing active fermentation and airlock burping.

Adding a new twist, like step mashing, wondering how it will all work out, then realizing it will be beer when all is said and done.

A good brew day, for me, is the following morning when I see my carboy bubbling away. And seeing all of the movement in the beer while it is fermenting is fascinating. I'm like a kid at Christmas, always checking to see if it is still bubbling away.

I'll tell you what doesn't make a great brewday(today for me)!
Lifting the bag out of the kettle (not noticing that there was a hole burned in it near the bottom) and juuuust when I moved it to a secondary vessel to remove the last water from the grist IT DECIDED TO RIP. So instead of a nice brewday I have a beer with low OG and a cleaning day.
And i can tell you wet grain falling from about 5 feet splashes absolutely everywhere.
So boiling some DME while cleaning :| FUNFUNFUN :)

Why did this happen?=> big grain bill and somehow the bag touched the bottom of my pot.

But in all honesty a normal GOOD brewday is hitting everything bang on, and that epic smell of mashing beer.

I really enjoy the whole process, so the weather is a big factor since I brew outside on my lanai. Confirmation the next day with fermentation activity is pretty cool too!

John

Latest posts

Back