what liquid do I put in the bottle in which the blow-off tube goes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
We have decided not to use valves anymore...long story short: blow-off tubes are more convenient for us.
My question is simple: what do I put in the bottle where the blow-off tube goes? Water and PBW? Or something else?

Thanks

We have decided not to use valves anymore...long story short: blow-off tubes are more convenient for us.
My question is simple: what do I put in the bottle where the blow-off tube goes? Water and PBW? Or something else?

Thanks
I've used H20 + a pinch of bleach, I've used Starsan mixed as directed, I've used just plain old water. Have never ever had a problem....but then again, have never used a blowoff tube longer than blowoff lasted - sounds as though you just want to set and forget, use the blowoff tube as an airlock??? I'd use some sort of sanitizer in there, being it's gonna be in there for a couple weeks at least. Don't have a proper answer, hopefully someone who's done it will chime in.....I suppose you could use cheap vodka in there, but the cost would be silly...

I use Star San solution too.

Bear in mind the container doesn't have to really full; better off not, actually. Only has to cover the end of the blowoff tube with a little cushion.

I also use 3/4 inch pvc and 1.5 inch hose from the hardware store to make my blow off tubes. I for the most part rarely transfer to a secondary so this is what I use start to finish. I find them much easier to clean, I disassemble and throw in some oxiclean or pbw overnight and let air dry. Sorry for the pore quality photo, but you get the idea.

PVC_CPVC Blowoff.jpg

I also use 3/4 inch pvc and 1.5 inch hose from the hardware store to make my blow off tubes. I for the most part rarely transfer to a secondary so this is what I use start to finish. I find them much easier to clean, I disassemble and throw in some oxiclean or pbw overnight and let air dry. Sorry for the pore quality photo, but you get the idea.

View attachment 174883

That looks like something I'd look into and have a creature look back at me. I like it! Hard pipe blow off.

Oh, water and a little sanitizer. Just water may work, but I've had blow offs get kinda funky. Mainly it was because of krausen blowing out.

I use a 3/8" tube with the end of an old "S" type airlock cut off & inserted in one end to fit the airlock grommet. Then into a 1/2 gallon plastic vodka jug 1/3 full of water with a good splash of Starsan.

I'll dump the iodophor from brew day in there, though in time it will essentially be just water as the iodophor evaporates or whatever it does to dissipate. Had blow offs on for up to 5 months without an issue, pretty much treat them like an airlock. Nothing is going to crawl up the tube so no worries at to what is in the water.

Anybody see a problem with water/idaphor mixture in the blow off tube jar?

Anybody see a problem with water/idaphor mixture in the blow off tube jar?

I am not an expert.....but if you have previously CLEANED the tube properly then iodine solution in the blow-off tube jar will be just perfect. In some previous comments people even refer to plain water.....which makes sense, as long as the blow-off tube is cleaned/sanitized.

Ive always used tapwater as well. I might throw abit of iodophor in the solution next time. Unless you had a back siphon into your beer and your blow off tube is sanitized, I cant see there being an issue.

You tap water will likely have a bit of residual chlorine or chloramine in it anyway, so my theory is that it is fine for a blow off tube. Plus it has positive pressure from fermentation. The only time I don't use tap water is when cold crashing or anything that could draw the water back into the wort. Mind you, with a long blow off tube I have never seen this happen :)

Back