What kind of Sparge Arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canmorebrewguy

Reaction score
Hello All, I am looking for advice on the sparge arm assembly. If you could go with any sparge set up what would you go with? I have the ability to fabricate any style but I have zero experience with any. I am planning to use a Triclamp ferrule on the MLT for sparging if that helps.
Cheers,
Todd

I've tried a few. Now, I just use a silicone hose laid on top of the bed, just like Kal uses on his electric setup. Efficiency remains high and it's easy to clean and maintain.

I've been looking over the forum for an answer to this question too.

Holy crap wait... is it that easy? I just finished my first all grain batch and my only "wish-I-had-better-gear" was my sparge arm (back of a spoon). That seems like a simple and efficient solution. Have you used this one much?

Yes, you don't, in my experience, need a fancy sparge system. They are cool, I give you that. But I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. I float at least 1" on top of my grain, so how effectively you "drizzle" the water onto that is IMO not critical. :mug:

This + this is what I'm installing in my new system (this weekend).

I used to use this, and it worked well enough, but the last year or so I've been strictly batch sparging.

Ive been looking into adding that as a sparge arm from Bobby as well. Currently I just pump hot water from the HLT to the MLT and let it drain into a plastic colander to give the "trickle" affect.

I've used several different types. Some that spin like a helicopter blade and some straight pieces of pipe with holes drilled in them with different hole patterns to cover the grain bed differently etc.

I finally settled on a spray nozzle that mimics the effects of a spoon under running water.

Like this. Mine is brass cause that's what I came across at the place I was working at at that time. I plan on getting a stainless setup soon.
http://www.lechler.de/is-bin/inters...industrie/04_Flat_Fans/Series_686_FlatFan.pdf

I just use a hose on top of the grain bed when sparging with my 3 vessel EHERMS, i may want to get some bling locline, ill add it to my christmas list but i dont really "need" it.

Same here. I recirc BIAB and find there's no need for anything but a hose.

I guess I recirculate faster than you guys do. I've tried the "lay the hose on top" method and I got some serious channelling around the edge.

I've moved on to the brewhardware Locline stuff and that works a lot better for me. Not perfect, but a lot better.

if the "lay the hose on top" method creates too much channelling, you can always use the "plug the hose and then drill a whole bunch of really tiny holes in it" method.

I guess I recirculate faster than you guys do. I've tried the "lay the hose on top" method and I got some serious channelling around the edge.

I've moved on to the brewhardware Locline stuff and that works a lot better for me. Not perfect, but a lot better.

Do you mean during sparging? Who cares about channeling during recirc? The point is just to keep the mash at a constant temperature. As long as your not causing a stuck mash does it really matter?

During sparging is where you may care about channeling to make sure you get all the sugars washed out. For that even with the hose on top i restrict my flow so much for a semi slow sparge and it sits on top of the grain with about 1" of water above the grain that it doesnt really disturb the grain at all.

Back