What kind of sausage to pair with Oktoberfest/Marzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So as the title says, what do you think? In the past I've always made a garlicky brat and a "weisswurst" (no veal) for our annual Oktoberfest party (typically held in Nov. as I play in an Oompah band so Oct. weekends are pretty booked).

I'll be making sausages next weekend, probably 10 lbs ea. of two kinds. If not a particular style recomendation, then any herbs/spices that pair particularly well with an O'fest beer. I'm actually thinking that garlic might not be the best pairing (I know, heaven forbid). I've had a few with a fair bit of Mace in them this Fall and have enjoyed them and was thinking to go that route with one (we almost always get all the food and beer we want at our gigs :rockin: )

So as the title says, what do you think? In the past I've always made a garlicky brat and a "weisswurst" (no veal) for our annual Oktoberfest party (typically held in Nov. as I play in an Oompah band so Oct. weekends are pretty booked).

I'll be making sausages next weekend, probably 10 lbs ea. of two kinds. If not a particular style recomendation, then any herbs/spices that pair particularly well with an O'fest beer. I'm actually thinking that garlic might not be the best pairing (I know, heaven forbid). I've had a few with a fair bit of Mace in them this Fall and have enjoyed them and was thinking to go that route with one (we almost always get all the food and beer we want at our gigs :rockin: )

I don't know. But I just returned from Bavaria and my colleague ordered some cheese spread (obazda or obatzda depending on your preferred spelling). It was excellent.

Recommend you look up online recipes. It's good on either bread or pretzels.

FYI apparently Bavarians don't use mustard on their pretzels... The obazda is the way to go.

I don't know. But I just returned from Bavaria and my colleague ordered some cheese spread (obazda or obatzda depending on your preferred spelling). It was excellent.

Recommend you look up online recipes. It's good on either bread or pretzels.

FYI apparently Bavarians don't use mustard on their pretzels... The obazda is the way to go.

I'll have to try this. Going to a party tonight and I have some leftover brie in the fridge.....

recipe 1

recipe 2

To me, more important than the flavor was the texture. I made my own a few times and realized that you needed the right amount of fat, types of meat and a fine grind so that the filling is smooth and uniform vs grainy, and not dry. Anyway, that was important to me.

Nurnbergers with natural casing, gives 'em a nice snap when you bite into them.
Can't go wrong with Munchen weisswurst, but there was a red wurst we used to get in Graffenwhoer. (SP?) They were kind of dry, much like a kielbasa before cooking, about the same size & shape too. Very tasty. I want to say it was call rottwurst, but I don't know for sure. We just called the "pigdicks." <LOL>
Regards, GF.

12 lbs X 2 recipes done. Went with a "bockwurst" (no veal) and a hunters sausage - the later from "Bruce Aidells Complete Sausage Book"

Scaled up for 12 lbs, except only 1 lb of bacon used
2 pounds pork butt
1 pound lean smoked bacon
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon whole yellow mustard seeds
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg