What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AkTom

Reaction score
image.jpg
First rum run. Collecting in quart jars. This is #9. Down to 30 proof. #7,8,9,10 primarily have it. Gets more the further in. I’ll stop collecting at #10 as I think it’s about done.
I’m making Pugirum. He says do 2 runs then add them together and do a spirit run.

That's what it looks like to me, do you plan to add dunder to the spirit run?

add some butter to each pot. molasses foams alot.

what is that anti-foaming stuff they sell on the distilling sites? i see something for FermFast AntiFoam...

i've never had a problem though. how tall is your column? can you extend it? mine is either 4 feet, or 6 feet...

Man oh man how I love rum, pugi is very very good rum.
Lotsa flavors there.

Don't worry about the puke, I get it sometimes on a strip run but the low wines never puke because they cant.
Just think of it as extra flavors lol.

Good luck and post results

not much about rum I couldn't help you with, any questions...just ask!

Ok then. I got different molasses. It has a preservative in it. It is not fermenting. I added another gallon of water and a package of wine yeast. Still no go. Should I save it?

Post your exact recipe.
I've used evolved habitat molasses from tractor supply for a long time and it has preservatives in it.
What temps are you fermenting at?
9 times out of 10 I ferment at 90+f but I use bread yeast too.
Did you aerate?
No need for any extra nutes as moll has everything it needs although I do use a pinch of Epsom salt for each 5 gallons.

I do 30 and 45 gal ferments and not ever had one stall or not do anything.

I’m using pugirum recipe. As close I could get anyway. I’m fermenting at 90* yes on the bread yeast. No not much aeration. After a few days of not much action, I added a gallon of water thinking it might reduce the preservatives enough to kick it off.
This was my second mash. Different molasses though. Every thing equal except for the molasses.
Thanks for helping a rookie out.

have you checked the gravity? seems to be a recurring topic with stuck ferments, someone else said they had a cider that didn't ferment. turns out it did. molasses just effervesces, doesn't get much krausen. i don't think?

I've only seen a handful of rum ferments go nuts, completely dry in 36 hours from a 12% wash but they did a big starter with all kinds of nutes.

What was the molasses you bought?

It's very similar to the evolved habitats from tc.
I use 2 gal and 16 lb dark brown sugar for a nice sippin rum.
What size batch did you make?

have you checked the gravity? seems to be a recurring topic with stuck ferments, someone else said they had a cider that didn't ferment. turns out it did. molasses just effervesces, doesn't get much krausen. i don't think?
Yes I have. Gravity hasn’t hardly moved.

Is it showing any signs of infection?

If you have any pickling lime, drop a pinch in and see if it fizzles. if it does your ph is too low.

I got some lime stuff. No fizz. Not infected.
Every thing was the same as the first run except the the molasses.

try and dilute it some more, pitch another yeast starter.
How much yeast did you use?
In my 16 gal batch I use half cup, I rehydrate half of that in water as a pinch or 3 of sugar and dry pitch the rest.

I use a one lb brick of yeast in my 45 gal

@Shine0n i used 1 cup. How much should I dilute it? It’s about 11 gallons in a 15 gallon keg. I have a valve on the bottom so I can easily drain some out.

If I were you I'd make a starter with 1/4 cup yeast and rehydrate it in 1 qt water alone for 30 minutes then add 2 tbs of sugar and again every couple hours till you have a strong colony of yeast.
Feed it some nutes and give it 24 solid hours before pitching.
Also, make it up to 14 gallons. It may be lower in abv but maybe it will start and finish.
The molasses I use has the same exact ingredients and same invert sugar content so maybe it's the same stuff but bulk bought and packed by different companies.

Any time Tom, I hope this starts for you and get to run it!

Well alrighty then. Starter is started. Update in a couple of days.

Update... from the original 10 gallons, I have diluted into about 18 gallons. I’ve pitched more yeast into the 3 different fermenter vessels. The molasses had more sugars than I thought. Each of the 3 are at 1.062 now.
I’m up for another suggestion.
I’m thinking about putting in 4.5 gallon buckets and saving to add to future batches.
I don’t think adding more yeast is going to help. I don’t want to waste what I have, but maybe it can be slowly added into other batches?
1.060 after 2 or 3 days and no sign of activity.

Well Tom, I think this one may go down as a bad batch. When I return home from work late this week I'll post a pick of my molasses I use which reads exactly the same ingredients and sugar content.

I've had no problems with it but it could be my water with alot of minerals that helps, who knows.
Sorry it didn't work out, I've been there and know the feeling of lost money.

Not a bad idea of adding to another ferment, just don't add too much.

I stopped at a friend’s bakery and picked up 6 4.5 gallon buckets. About3.5 gallons in each. I have room to store them. So I’ll keep them for a while.
I have another jug of the same molasses. Do you think I should try it switch brands?
Thanks again for your help.
Tom

When I use that style of molasses I use 2 gal per 16 gal ferment, I do however use 16 lb brown sugar in it.
I you have fermenter room try making a larger ferment, say if you have a 20 gel fermenter make 16ish gallons with my recipe
2 gal feed moll
16lb dark brown sugar
1/2 cup fleischmann's bread yeast.

I only use this molasses when diluted extremely well to minimize the chance of stalled or non ferment.

i was reading all this
so to ask ,,on what temp u need ferment anything using bakers yeast ?
and do i need to haveve ventilated room for it (co2) ?
i was looking and after these advices for alc
i tell to my selph whynot make just to see if i can
some rum :)
i like rum and gin
youtell me to use 1118 for normal wash and around 20-22 celsius temp
wonder is it same for bakers yeast
and last which rum recipe is easy to make and taste ok ?

Back