What is this?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtbrown54

Reaction score
So I pitched my starter about 3-4 hours ago. And now I see this... What is it?? I've been brewing for 3 years and have never seen this.

image-4189655288.jpg

Hmmm...That light colored band mid-carboy is kinda curious looking, and in all my years of brewing I also haven't seen anything like it. But it's way too early for it to be indicative of anything bad.

SWAG: I'm thinking it's due to temperature stratification...

Cheers!

SWAG: I'm thinking it's due to temperature stratification...

Cheers!

Thats what it looks like to me, never seen it in a carboy like that... but was there a big temperature.difference from your starter to the batch? Thats awesome, you couldnt do that again if you wanted to.

Looks like cold break band around the surface. But I agree,temp stratification making the yeast,etc slowly settle to the bottom. Looks like the fine,cloudy stuff is settling like a fog...

I believe so,yes. It does settle out,but it's just that the carboy allows you to see it. Those of us using plastic aren't usually aware of these things.

Back