What is this???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
Just opened my fermenter to find this... New to me. Any ideas? Hoping this is salvageable.

image-416935702.jpg

It's been fermenting for 2 weeks and is at 64 degrees. What would cause the film, or slick, on top? I've never had this happen to any of my brews. Smells slightly musty (for lack of a better term) but tastes okay. Should I transfer to the keg ASAP? Hesitant to dry hop if it would be a waste of hops.

Check out this thread and get in touch with some folks versed in lambics.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/

I'm speaking from zero experience, but I would investigate the possibility of a tasty sour developing out of that before pitching it. If it is possible it might take a year or so to fully develop. I recently started sampling lambics and I think a well-done lambic is about the best thing ever. YMMV

I just transferred it to a keg and did my best to leave all the fuzzy bubbly crap on top. The beer doesn't taste sour (yet), actually tastes pretty good, so I'm hoping it was something that didn't really penetrate the surface. Carbing it up now so we'll see how it goes!

I think Revvy is right, most likely CO2 and hop oil. I just recently kegged an IPA and it looked similar (but smaller and clearer bubbles) before dry hopping. They were definitely gas bubbles.

I think Revvy is right, most likely CO2 and hop oil. I just recently kegged an IPA and it looked similar (but smaller and clearer bubbles) before dry hopping. They were definitely gas bubbles.

I thought that was a possibility until I opened it to transfer today... the bubbles were much smaller and looked fuzzy and white. Also this was very modestly hopped, and I didn't dryhop so I don't see why there'd be an excess of hop oils. I'm stumped, but not ruling out the possibility that my bucket somehow picked up something funky. Maybe be time for a new one?

white film mold methinks. harmless but ugly if it is. and yes, bleach the crap out of that bucket.

Just pulled a small sample from the keg and... it's actually really delicious! :ban: Great simcoe/amarillo character and nice malt backbone. No sourness (yet). Do these surface infections typically infect the entire brew or just live on the top? Should I expect this to turn sour fairly soon?

Latest posts

Back