What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigo_Carpathian

Reaction score
I found this little piece floating around inside my bottling bucket valve. I can't figure out where it belongs. I'm certain that it did not just fall in. It's made of the same plastic as the valve but doesn't seem to belong anywhere.

image-1045816168.jpg

i haven't a clue! weird... i've had a few of those valves over the years and i can't say i've ever seen that before.

have you used that valve sucsessfully? or was it a new one? possibly during packaging, maybe a piece fell into it before they shipped them out?

No, it is more than likely part of the inner workings that allows the spigot to rotate without unscrewing from the back. In fact the belt clip for my otterbox case of my Iphone employs a similar looking plastic rivet.

It's the spigot for a plastic bottling bin.

Oh, you mean the little piece that looks like it fits into a socket? That's part of the manufacturing process, I believe. Probably just dropped in there.

I went ahead and used the valve without it. So far no leaking. I tested flow and it seemed fine. I took apart another valve I have and didn't see anything like it. I don't use an auto-siphon so it can't be from that. I'll save the piece just in case. Chances are when I'm transferring I'll find out the hard way what it's function is.

does it fit into the front of your spigot? spigot cap?

Looking at it this morning I was wondering the same thing.

I wonder if they give them out with that brand of spigot for folks who use spigots on their fermenters? That way the can keep things from crawling up in there while the fermenters are sitting around, as well as keeping water out if you're putting the fermenter in a swamp cooler. We often tell folks to wrap the spigot with plastic wrap and rubber bands.....this might be the same thing.

Latest posts

Back