What is this stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head7l

Reaction score
So I brewed Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefeweizen from Brewmasters Warehouse (great service btw) and it has been in primary for about 10 days now. So last night I went down to grab a gravity reading and there was a thick yellow-ey gelatinous layer on top. It sort of looked like a compacted krausen (sorry no pics yet).

Does that seem normal?

Anyway...it tasted normal and read out @ 1.020. So...I guess I made beer.

Probably just krausen. I love that recipe and it is 2 of my last three batches. If you used the recommended weinstpehan yeast, it's a very active ferment with a thick krausen. Both of mine kept going to an FG of 1.009 though so yours may not be done.

So I brewed Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefeweizen from Brewmasters Warehouse (great service btw) and it has been in primary for about 10 days now. So last night I went down to grab a gravity reading and there was a thick yellow-ey gelatinous layer on top. It sort of looked like a compacted krausen (sorry no pics yet).

Does that seem normal?

Anyway...it tasted normal and read out @ 1.020. So...I guess I made beer.

It is most likley just krausen. I have the same thing on top of my blonde ale in the primary right now. The sample I pulled of was just fine. :mug:

RDWHAHB!

Back