What is this on top of my mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck82

Reaction score
I've made a few batches of beer using a different fermenter that wasn't clear but this is my first time making mead so I'm probably making something out of nothing but I had an airlock blow last night which is common i noticed this start forming not long after fermentation began and think it might be partially responsible has anyone seen anything like this before is this krausen, yeast buildup or an infection? It smelled okay when I resanitized and put the bung and airlock back on I just want to identify what this is

Attachments

• 15912324221552479345637865843903.jpg
    15912324221552479345637865843903.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
It was red star premier Blanc yeast and a tsp of yeast nutrients. And I used raspberries which I mashed and didn't strain . I might have figured it out it could be a combination of raspberry seedlings and yeast . It smells and looks okay so I don't think it's bad I think I just should have strained it... Lesson for next time I guess 🤪

Sanitize whatever fits into the neck of the vessel and push the fruit back down into the fermenting mead. The CO2 produced has caused the berries to float, and it is indeed best practice to punch them back down. Just dont be surprised if you get some vigorous foaming. I would not worry about a thing - it is a fermented beverage, the worst that will happen is that it tastes bad and you fart a bit.

I just rock the carboys a little to get a nice wave that flops the fruit cap over. Do that at least once a day, but usually more...

Cheers!

Back