What is the style of it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
I brewed a beer couple of days ago, followed a recipe...
The recipe included vienna malt and pilsner malt, perle and h.millfurth hops and s-05 yeast..

But what is this style of beer? And in any recipe, how can I know the style only by looking at the ingredients (if the style isnt included in the recipe itself)?

I brewed a beer couple of days ago, followed a recipe...
The recipe included vienna malt and pilsner malt, perle and h.millfurth hops and s-05 yeast..

But what is this style of beer? And in any recipe, how can I know the style only by looking at the ingredients (if the style isnt included in the recipe itself)?

Well to answer this, we would need to know a lot more info, including: how much of each malt, how bitter (IBUs), and how much flavor and aroma hops are there.

This beer may not fit squarely into any style. Depending on bitterness, this may be a pale ale that has a German hop character (this is not the predominant example of a pale ale, but an APA does not have to have any particular hop character). It also might be something like a blonde or kolsch. I make a beer that I call my American Kolsch, which is 90% pilsner, 10% munich, German hops, and US-05, but purists would certainly point out that it is not a true kolsch.

ok its something like that:
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5+ (20-22 Liters)
Original Gravity: 1.054 (?)
Final Gravity: 1.008 (too low!) (?)
IBU: 21
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 73 (room temp at the time no fridge)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Bottled for 2 weeks
Tasting Notes: A huge hit with the BMC crowd! Nice white head, clear and crisp but with flavor.

3 kgs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
2 kgs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertau Mittelfr?h [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (10 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertau Mittelfr?h [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150 (66) degrees for 70 minutes. Sparge 10min to get boil volume.
Boil for 60 minutes, and rapidly chill to 73 degrees.
Add yeast, and ferment at 73 for 14 days. crash cool until clear.

i still dont know about the SRM and IBU and FG because its still fermenting

I would call it an Altbier since you have all the German ingredients except for the clean ale yeast.

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days at 73 (room temp at the time no fridge)

you may not like that US-05 at 73 degree that well

I use 05 a lot but I like it at 66 degrees for very clean ale yeast

I like Vienna made a couple SMaSh recipes with it :)

all the best

S_M

ok its something like that:
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5+ (20-22 Liters)
Original Gravity: 1.054 (?)
Final Gravity: 1.008 (too low!) (?)
IBU: 21
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.8 SRM
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Bottled for 2 weeks
Tasting Notes: A huge hit with the BMC crowd! Nice white head, clear and crisp but with flavor.

3 kgs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
2 kgs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertau Mittelfr?h [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (10 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertau Mittelfr?h [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150 (66) degrees for 70 minutes. Sparge 10min to get boil volume.
Boil for 60 minutes, and rapidly chill to 73 degrees.
Add yeast, and ferment at 73 for 14 days. crash cool until clear.

i still dont know about the SRM and IBU and FG because its still fermenting

Well it is definitely not a pale ale because of the lack of IBUs. I would categorize it as a blonde ale, which is a pretty forgiving style.

you may not like that US-05 at 73 degree that well

I use 05 a lot but I like it at 66 degrees for very clean ale yeast

I like Vienna made a couple SMaSh recipes with it :)

all the best

S_M

I agree that the 73 degrees is not ideal, but if I was trying for the cleanest beer possible at those temps, I would use US-05. In the winter, I can brew with US-04 or S-04 and get relatively clean flavors without temp control. In the summer (not at 73 in my basement but still above the ideal), my brews with US-05 are relatively clean but the S-04 beers have tons of esters.

True, Koelsch perhaps?

It's either a Kolsch or a Blonde. I personally believe that a kolsch should be 100% pilsner malt (that is how it is made by just about every brewery in Germany). Given that this recipe is less than 50% pilsner, I just don't think that fits. That's why I vote blonde.

It's either a Kolsch or a Blonde. I personally believe that a kolsch should be 100% pilsner malt (that is how it is made by just about every brewery in Germany). Given that this recipe is less than 50% pilsner, I just don't think that fits. That's why I vote blonde.

Ok Blonde, but if the color will come out pretty darkish (orange/red like..) is it still blonde? which is blonde and yellow like colors?

ben2904 said:
Ok Blonde, but if the color will come out pretty darkish (orange/red like..) is it still blonde? which is blonde and yellow like colors?

With that grain bill it should not be dark. It should be very light.

No, this is way to light and won't have any of the roast flavor that you should have in an alt.

This is definitely closest to a "light hybrid" beer by the BJCP categories.

There isn't any roast in an altbier. The BJCP for Düsseldorf specifically says "no roast". That said, I agree that this fits best as a Blonde Ale. This is sort of a "low hop" American Pale Ale.

MichaelBrock said:
There isn't any roast in an altbier. The BJCP for Düsseldorf specifically says "no roast". That said, I agree that this fits best as a Blonde Ale. This is sort of a "low hop" American Pale Ale.

Well there is roast in the Northern German Altbier. You are correct that the Dusseldorf Alt has no roast, but it generally contains some black malt for color.

Back