What is the purpose of step starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MannyEdwards

Reaction score
Can I just pour a vial into 2 liters of wort and get twice as much yeast as if I had used 1 liter? Is the reason for stepping your starters only because of the size limitation of the flask?

Yeast will only reproduce so much in a given wort. After that they settle in and just make beer. Doing a step starter gives them multiple times to reproduce with more oxygen, no alcohol and fresh materials.

PROBLEM: If you start with a small amount of yeast in a large (e.g., 5L) starter, it can take a while for the alcohol levels to rise in that starter. During that time, the wort has no protection from infection.

SOLUTION: If you start with a 1L starter (or smaller), the ABV of the starter will rise more quickly, thus protecting it from infection. Once fermented, the 1L starter can be chilled, decanted, then dumped into a 5L starter. With all the new, active yeast, the 5L starter will ferment quickly.

This was my thoughts anyway. I used to grow yeast from small frozen samples using 1L and 5L flasks. I doubt that stepping up with larger amounts of good yeast (i.e., Wyeast packs or White Labs tubes) warrant doing this.

Back