What is the name of this fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentoo

Reaction score
Are they poisonous? Can I make wine with them?

1.jpg

20170611_040907.jpg

Looks like crab apples to me too. We had them all over the place were I grew up in Ohio. Couldn't eat them, too tart and not sweet (I can't tell you how I know that, but I imagine at some point we did try to eat them). They might make wine, but I doubt it. Seems wine makers have made wine out of just about anything, but I've never heard of crab apple wine.

Looks like crab apples to me too. We had them all over the place were I grew up in Ohio. Couldn't eat them, too tart and not sweet (I can't tell you how I know that, but I imagine at some point we did try to eat them). They might make wine, but I doubt it. Seems wine makers have made wine out of just about anything, but I've never heard of crab apple wine.

Haha- crabapple wine is my best white wine. However, crabapples for eating/winemaking aren't those little ornamental fruits- they are bigger than you'd think, and many people make those canned red rings from them. They taste great, but are a bit more tannic than regular apples.

But that fruit in the photo looks tiny, with a leaf like a cherry type of bush.

Haha- crabapple wine is my best white wine. However, crabapples for eating/winemaking aren't those little ornamental fruits- they are bigger than you'd think, and many people make those canned red rings from them. They taste great, but are a bit more tannic than regular apples.

But that fruit in the photo looks tiny, with a leaf like a cherry type of bush.

They were small, cherry sized, on the trees around my home when I was a kid. Must have been ornamentals. I think the birds liked them though.

I don't think I've ever seen the full-sized ones. Or if I did, I probably thought they were young apples.

Like I mentioned, there are many varieties of crab apple. I'm not ashamed to say I've eaten many of them as a child. They are not poisonous, they all are technically "edible" but not in my experience palatable. Some as I'm told are more palatable than others, depending on the variety I guess.

:)

They were small, cherry sized, on the trees around my home when I was a kid. Must have been ornamentals. I think the birds liked them though.

I don't think I've ever seen the full-sized ones. Or if I did, I probably thought they were young apples.

Ha ha, my family had a tree like that when I was growing up. The birds wouldn't even bother with them, they'd just end up on the ground.

Are they poisonous? Can I make wine with them?

They do look like crab apples, maybe an ornamental variety. What strikes me as odd though, is that a lot of the fruit is growing upright on the stems. I've never seen that with any type of apple, but then I'm not an apple expert either. I think your best (and safest) bet would be to take a cutting (both leaf & fruit) to your local county extension agent & have them positively identify it for you.
Regards, GF.

They're most likely crabapples. In a small quantity like 5% they can add tannin and "spunk" to any cider or wine. I have used ornamental crabs in cider with good success. Taste one. If it is spicy and tart, that's what you'd expect and it's good in a small proportion of the juice.

Latest posts

Back