What Is The Length Of Time Till The Beer Expires In a Keg...Personally

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PakDat

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how long can I store beer once it has been kegged and untapped. Personal experience would be great. I've never kegged only bottled. I've read that it will last for 3-6 months. But it would be nice to know from the people that actually brewed and stored their beers.

IPA start to go downhill fast, IMHO one or two months; but high ABV stouts, barley wine, etc, can go a year and just get better and better. It depends on the beer

I recently bottled the last few bombers worth of a big beer well after a year with no issues, always kept cool and under pressure.

IPA start to go downhill fast, IMHO one or two months; but high ABV stouts, barley wine, etc, can go a year and just get better and better. It depends on the beer

^This. It's less to do with bottling vs. kegging and more about the style of beer. My hoppy beers and wheats taste best to me as young as possible. On the other hand I'm still drinking the second keg of a big stout that is 16 months old and it's as good or better now than it ever was.

Think of it this way. How long does beer last in bottles? The keg is just a large non UV permiable can. You should get better life out of a keg, especially if kept cold, but the time/style aspect still applies as it does with bottles.

Back