What is the difference in Wheat Grains - Which should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I've never used wheat grains in a mash. I've only ever used Wheat extract. I'm now doing partial mashes, with 8+ lbs of grain. I get 85%+ efficiency, so don't add much extract/additional sugars to most brews. I'd like to experiment and add some wheat to some beers. There seems to be a variety of wheat malts, and I am confused as to which I should get.

My options (based on where I am planning to order from - I'll be getting 10 to 20 lbs):

- Raw White wheat (cheapest). I assume this has no diastatic power, but is otherwise a standard wheat malt.

- Flaked Wheat (mid price). Again, no diastatic power. No need to crush either. Being 'flaked' does it add anything, or is it just a wheat malt. What does 'flaked' add?

- Malted Red Wheat (mid price). This has high diastatic power, so can be used in large amounts and even replace base malt. Any difference in flavor between red and white wheats?

- Malted White Wheat (most expensive). High diastatic power, can be used as a base malt.

There is not much difference in the price of all of these. Price will only be a determining factor if there is no significant difference. I'm inclined to get the flaked wheat as it is easy to use.

Any advice?

Flaked wheat will have the starches gelatinized so they are readily accessible to the enzymes but it will have no diastatic power as you noted and will need the enzymes from the base malt to do the conversion of the starch. It can be used up to about 50% of the grist with pale malt as that has sufficient enzymes to convert the wheat's starch.

The raw red wheat can be used but to get significant conversion it will need to be milled very fine or have been through a "cereal mash" (cooked) to free up the starches. Most LHBS will have the mill set to a wider gap than what is necessary for milling wheat and the wheat may go through without even being cracked.

I don't know that there is a significant flavor difference between red and white wheat but there is a color difference so if you want a very light color wheat beer you would need to use the white wheat.

I just want to quickly mention that Raw wheat, and flaked wheat are not actually malted. The flaked wheat would be fine to use in the mash but the raw wheat would benefit from being cereal mashed before adding to the mash if you go that route.

Sounds like raw wheat is out; extra work that I'm not ready for.

I don't expect to use Wheat as the primary ingredient in a beer any time soon, so do not need it to be malted. Flaked Wheat seems to be the easiest to use.

Thanks to everyone. I think I have my question answered.

Latest posts

Back