What is the best way to get rid of yeast taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
Hello

What would be the best way to get rid of the yeasty taste? I have been brewing for a while but i have always had a yeasty taste and smell to all of my beers. im always carefull not to keg the yeast and it comes out very clean and clear but i can not get rid of that yeasty smell and kind of taste. I am thinking on buying a filter system to see if that will help.

i get this too, but not everytime. i think for me its because i don't have temp control. i just ferment at room temperature. what temp do you ferment at? any one else know whats goin on?

I dont really have much control of my temps, I have a big closet where i ferment my beers and depending the time of the year it can be anywhere from 55 to 65 degress. i try to brew lagers in the winter and Ales in the spring or fall.

What kind of yeast do you use? That was my biggest problem when I used the yeast that came with Mr. Beer kits but I never noticed it once I started using Fermentis or Wyeast.

Different yeasts have different flavor and aroma profiles. Strong aromas like that are appropriate for many styles.

The standard "clean" yeast is WLP001 (California Ale). US-05 is basically the same yeast, except in dry-form, and Wyeast has a similar product as well. (1028 maybe? I can't remember off-hand.) If you pitch enough yeast and have a clean vigorous ferment, then you shouldn't get yeast flavors with any of those three products.

Hmmm is funny you mention WLP001. My next recipe calls for WLP001 for a stout beer. I hope it comes out good.

Back