What is max temp. of fridge???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christpuncher123

Reaction score
I'm building a keezer, I am going to use my old fridge for a fermentation chamber. If I set the thermostat as high as it goes and it keeps the fridge at 55-60 degrees why even bother with a temperature controller?

55-60 is too cold for most Ale yeasts. A 2-stage controller would allow you to put a heater in there to bring the fridge up to 65-70, which is what you need to brew Ales.

Also, a controller will allow you to hit a more specific temperature than a five degree range.

If you are brewing lagers, then the fridge would be ok as is, fementing in the low 50s.

55-60 is too cold for most Ale yeasts. A 2-stage controller would allow you to put a heater in there to bring the fridge up to 65-70, which is what you need to brew Ales.

Also, a controller will allow you to hit a more specific temperature than a five degree range.

If you are brewing lagers, then the fridge would be ok as is, fementing in the low 50s.

I have a basement for Ales.

I don't know how wide a temperature range a fridge has, my guess is it's not as precise as a temp controller. A few degrees is fine, but 5 or more could be an issue.

Latest posts

Back