What is likely to happen if you fermented beer the same way as Kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyno

Reaction score
My GF came with me to the homebrew store and she decided to get some stuff to brew kombucha since we both like it. It is good, and it got me thinking about instead of fermenting my beer the traditional way, what would happen if I do what she has been doing and left some of it in a jar out in the elements with a cloth covering it (either the sweet wort straight away or out of the primary), then bottle condition after it has fermented out in the open for a while.

I would imagine some interesting flavors might develop and it may even develop a scoby in the jar? I'm sure somebody has tried it or is smarter than me and can predict what would happen. My guess is that it would probably be really good or really horrible. Anybody done this? Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks

this is basically capturing wild yeast.....totally doable....not sure how scoby's are created but here is a helpful link for what you are talking about....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/howto-capture-wild-yeast-101886/

I just finished doing this and out of 8 jars i set out, I got 4 that were good and 3 of those were keepers. I grew up my little yeasties and freezer banked, plated and slanted them....

You can do it. It is hit and miss. Check out the Lambic forum, they often have threads on this subject (what to do and how successful people are).

Back