What is eating my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lainamaina

Reaction score
So I have 2 first year hop plants that are growing great, but something has been destroying the leaves on them.
My first thought was aphids, but I haven't seen any on any of my plants, or any other critters for that matter.

Help!

R1lFeJY.jpg

Lje0euP.jpg

Aphids don't chew, they suck. I suspect a much larger winged critter did all that, probably some kind of night-feeding beetle or moth. I'd be tempted to roll out the Sevin...

Cheers!

I think you might have one of those little pesky green worms munching down. looks like mine did until I found the punk. they hide very well eat at night digest in day look under all leaves they are hard to spot.

fwiw, I've had green "worms", but they typically eat from from the leaf edge inward; those didn't leave squarish looking holes in the middle of the leaf. I've also had the little black "hop worms", and they start at random spots on the leaf but usually away from the edges, but again, they didn't leave that squarish looking damage patterns. I've had very few snail attacks (almost none, really) and didn't leave that type of pattern behind.

I'll be interested in reading what the culprit turns out to be, as I'm experiencing a bit of the same thing here, mostly on my Chinooks but a little on the Centennials and the Cascades. Haven't applied anything yet as I'd prefer to know what I'm trying to nuke and not just thrash about.

In my case, whatever it is, it's definitely nocturnal. My plants are over 20' tall now, but I can inspect any/all parts because they grow from below my first story deck up to about 10' above my second story deck. I've run the Chinooks from crown to tip and couldn't find any critters. At all - even good ones. So I'm betting they're late night eaters. I'm going to wander out tonight with a flashlight just before bed to see if I can spot the li'l bastids...

[edit] Another data point: no poop. Whenever I've seen caterpillars or "worm" damage there's always poop pellets to be found. But not a single pellet in this case.
It'll be flashlight time in a couple of hours...

hops_15june21012_01.jpg

Cheers!

Well I just stepped outside with a flashlight to take a peek and the culprit is...

Earwigs! Ugh!
I knew I've always hated those things!

I had problems with Japanese beetles in the past, and that's exactly what the plants looked like. I collected about 20 off of my plants over 3 days and killed them, but there were always more. I picked up some natural insect repellant that worked well. You could even use it within 2 days of harvesting your hops without any ill-effects. I can't remember the name, but I know it was at Lowe's.

Back