What if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuie

Reaction score
If I've posted this question in wrong forum, please forgive me. I've searched but haven't found much on this. What if I were to brew up a basic beer recipe and instead of pitching any hops or adjuncts cool the wort and toss in wine/champaign yeast? Any thoughts, ideas or experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

A friend of mine did something similar and wound up with only a 5 minute hop addition. He thought "Boy this was so fast to do, awesome!" and then tasted the result, basically not drinkable unless mixed with something else.

The resulting beer would be so high in malt and zero hops, that's basically not beer then. The balance of sweet malt and bitter hops is what's needed.

Not saying don't bother, but don't expect to want to drink it or share it with friends...

I wouldn't expect it to be beer, I was thinking of using the unhooked wort as wine. Toss in some wine yeast and let it ride. Maybe I will try a 1 gallon batch and see what happens.

I'm a social drinker, when someone says, "I think I will have a drink." I say, "So shall I."

There are some commercial beers that use champagne yeast for the bottle conditioning process (Brooklyn Sorachi Ace Saison is one that comes to mind). However, that one still uses a standard beer yeast for primary fermentation, and it still has hops in it.

Wine yeast will not change the lack of flavor, but feel free to give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back