What if I added no sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CV_Apple_Gal

Reaction score
Hi all,

As I'm debating how much sugar to add to my 2nd cider batch this year, (last year I added 4lb honey to 5gal of cider, OG was 1.051 FG was 1.002, 6.4% ) I'm wondering what the point is in adding sugar at all other than increasing the ABV? Has anyone tried not adding sugar in their cider? What was the outcome?

My goal for this year's cider is to have a better flavor, my last batch didn't seem to age well and has a harsh and bitter bite going down.

Many thanks

I have never added sugar to any of my cider.

The batch I have going right now started at 1.049 with no additives, it's now at 1.0264 (I'll rack in the next few days) and the ABV is already at 2.5% which is on trend for about 6% at 1.002 when it's done.

I would recommend proceeding without adding any sugar but since you are trying to improve flavor I would deliberately ferment slowly by setting the temperature on the lower end of the yeast's published range...even below that range would be fine as long as you let the fermentation get going for a day or so first before cranking down the temp. A slower fermentation will result in much better flavor.

The yeast I am currently using calls for 50-86 (F) degrees. I am running at 38 and it's moving along nicely. Here is my current fermentation. The blue line is the Specific Gravity and the Red is the temp. The fluctuations in temp were intentional due to this being a trial batch with a new setup of equipment. The increase in the rate of fermentation (blue line, where the angle increases to the right of the sharp spike) is where I added some nutrients and it really took off. You can see I also increased the temp to help the nutrients do their thing before bringing it back down.

I only share this with you to show fermentation does occur below the published temps on your yeast packet.
FF76D379-8D96-469A-868C-23B4E71D4863.jpeg

Last edited:
Added sugar is just to increase ABV, though honey and other non-raw sugar additions add other flavors themselves. I think typically cider does not have sugar added to increase ABV, though it may be added for sweetness after fermentation.

My first batches of cider had sugar added, but after that I tried no added sugar and liked it better. And it usually is over 6% anyway which is plenty of alcohol for me.

Back