What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judged beer for the Bluebonnet Brew Off.
IMG_20200215_150024.jpg

I seen someone else comment about people returning the canisters, did make think about which one I wanted to pick last time I got a new one.

I really like the setup in this post.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/too-much-oxygen.669985/#post-8673869

I used go through a tank pretty fast until I bought CGA 540 CONNECTION PEDIATRIC OXYGEN REGULATOR for my little red tanks and now get over 25 uses from a tank. I replaced the CGA540 with a hose nipple and put it after the screw top regulators.

Kinda weigh those bottles in your hand when you're in the store. I've found several that were empty when new.
If you can tell the difference, by hand hefting, of 40.1g when the canisters themselves probably vary by something like that, you are a wizard, sir! (I have heard rumors of people buying one, using it, and returning it, and the big box store restocking it. Never bought an empty myself.)

I used to weigh the bottle new and after each use, and tally it with a Sharpie on the bottle, to have some idea when it would kick. That suggested to me they are often overfilled a bit, actually. With a flow meter, if I'm trying to run a consistent rate and time, I should be able to predict the life of a bottle. But I don't keep track. Just don't leave that brass reg hooked up. It definitely leaks over time. And ALWAYS have a backup on hand.

Shake the bottles. If I can't feel any movement, or it seems light, it goes back on the shelf. The first time I noticed this was when I went in and bought 5 bottles, and the first one I tried at home was totally empty. Of the remaining 4, one was empty. I didn't try taking them back, figured they'd laugh me out of the store.

This kinda got me thinking about returns at Home Depot. Last summer, I was renovating my master bath, and I wanted to put tongue and groove pine on the ceiling.
The tongue and groove sold at the big box stores has a problem. The face is milled, along with the tongue and grooves, but the back is left rough.
I'm not going to get into the science of wood movement, but this is a bad idea. The board will invariably "cup", across the width of the board. or, it ain't flat!
So, jogged my happy butt down to the local HD, and found only 10 or 12 pieces, and they were all firewood quality, warped, twisted, cupped, split, etc. ( Ended up going to Lowe's). While looking at the HD crap, I noticed several of the boards were marked "returns" on the back. No worries, throw them back on the rack, somebody else will buy them.

So, either the oxy bottles at HD had leaky fittings, or they were "returns".
Like I said above, shake them and compare weights so you don't get burned.

Edit: @Robert65 , thanks for the link, put that flow meter on my wish list!

It's not beer, but as it was Valentine's Day weekend, I guided my wife through the process of sanitation to inoculating must with yeast; it's her first wine kit. A worthy sacrifice of my brewday, and I get to share in her efforts in a month or two as she regularly shares in my beer obsession. Happy spouse, happy house!

Filled up some bottles for competition and about to go drop them off. Shared the schwarzbier with some friends last night, and one who's in the industry (well, hard cider industry) described it as flawless, so fingers crossed.

Back