What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2019-05-11.png

Vacuum sealed 3 lbs of hops (1 lb each of citra, crystal, and sterling) in 4 oz packs. I should have started bulk ordering hops a long time ago, way cheaper and not too much work, only took 30 minutes.

Added a nitro cold Brew faucet (second stout faucet) hooked to a nitro infuser and dedicated nitrogen line. Now I just need to make some cold Brew and brew a stout! Woot!

That is a serious investment for some nitro coffee! Would love to hear how your infuser works for you. I’ve charged cold brew in the past (direct in keg) with verifying levels of success, but was always too cheap to pick up an infuser. Your setup looks great!

Waiting for the man to leave to play golf, so I can do a boiloff check run on the new sight glass without him whining about me wasting propane if I'm not brewing.

*edit* And to justify it, just found some empty distilled water jugs that I'll save the boiled water in for washing yeast...genius!

Last edited:
That is a serious investment for some nitro coffee! Would love to hear how your infuser works for you. I’ve charged cold brew in the past (direct in keg) with verifying levels of success, but was always too cheap to pick up an infuser. Your setup looks great!
Ya. I did the math. I should be able to recoup the costs in 6 months if I can keep swmbo out of Starbucks. Lol.

Got the itch and since it soon will be hot weather I put it an order from the Yeast Bay while the getting is good.

1x Northeastern Abbey - hopefully house abbey/belgian yeast
https://www.theyeastbay.com/brewers-yeast-products/northeastern-abbey

1x Brett Brux - you had me at "sweet tarts"
https://www.theyeastbay.com/wild-ye...anomyces-single-strain-series-isolate-tyb-207

1x Lacto Blend - why not try to keep a house lacto eh?
https://www.theyeastbay.com/wild-yeast-and-bacteria-products/lactobacillus-blend

436655cdb2121c045a.jpg

Toasted 200g of juniper pieces. I can tell you the garage smells pretty frikkin awesome at moment, have a wide variety of different aromas wafting around including a surprisingly strong vanilla. This will be a killer brew if I get the fermentables right.

436655cdb2121c045a.jpg

Toasted 200g of juniper pieces. I can tell you the garage smells pretty frikkin awesome at moment, have a wide variety of different aromas wafting around including a surprisingly strong vanilla. This will be a killer brew if I get the fermentables right.

That sounds amazing! What style will you be going for? Only one I’m familiar with that calls out juniper is a Finnish Sahti, and that only uses green branches/berries with the mash. Toasting the wood sound real interesting, at least for a garage potpourri!

Tell U the truth got no idea :D Was supposed to order specialty grains and hops tonight but kinda forgot and now too tired to think & ordered tomorrow they`ll likely not make it here for the weekend... Probly some sort of a heavy or sth, my brews usually don`t follow the style guidelines all that strictly anyway

BTW Props for knowing about sahti, I live at the center of the region that makes it, not a fan though, usually super strong, F:s you up twice first at night and the second time the next morning...

BTW Props for knowing about sahti, I live at the center of the region that makes it, not a fan though, usually super strong, F:s you up twice first at night and the second time the next morning...

Spent many a night wondering the streets of Oulu, and enjoyed every minute.... except maybe the mornings after bar hopping in the summer when it’s still daylight at 3:00am and you realize you have meetings starting In a couple hours!
I have no problem with Sahti, just keep the Salmiakki away from me and we’re golden.

Just got home from work and finally tapped the Mosaic/Southern Passion IPA. Not terribly happy with it, as it got dry-hopped mostly cold because reasons and it's got a tiny bit of autolysed flavor; nose is great, but flavor could use some help.

Checked gravity on my IPL after 3 days of dry hopping at 58. Taste great already and used my homegrown triple pearl and comet hops with it! After some lagering and carbonation this should be crushable at 5.8%
20190515_203545.jpeg

Lol it's an upside down corona mill with an extended hopper, a chimney joint went in the original one just by pressing and haven't moved. We don't need water filters here, Finland has the purest tap water in the world AND my town sits on a thin strip of land, made of gravel crushed by the ice age, between two large lakes so I'm essentially living above a huge water filter.

Btw hopefully the last time I used that particular mill, upgrading to a roller mill at july and likely to not brew before that (well maybe once...)

Yesterday between jobs braved nasty southbound traffic to hit up the LHBS for the pilsner I needed for today's brew. Totally forgot that my friend Jon is having his 1st anniversary sale today and I won't be able to be there; however, as one of his favored customers, I got to pick my freebies yesterday (a hat, sticker, and promotional chapstick) as well as a nice little discount on the grain. Anyone in Western Washington needs to hit up Jon's Homebrew & Wine Supply in Puyallup today for some great deals! (Yes shameless plug, but he's the one who really got me going in this crazy obsession I have!)

Back in December I adopted LOB and do closed transfers. That poses problems for making NEIPA or dry hopped pale ales.

Then had an epiphany, i decided to use my French Coffee Press.

I read about this long ago but never did it before and before going LOB.

https://beerandbrewing.com/use...o-enhance-flavors-in-your-beer

This is what I did yesterday.

1) Measured out a 1-liter trifecta using Sodium Metabisulfate, Asorbic Acid and Brewtan-B.
2) Dropped 20mg, 20mg, 40mg into a liter of post boiled water
3) Then poured it on an oz of Citra cryo in my coffee press.
4) Gently stirred and let it steep 10 minutes.
5) Then slowly pressed the hops to separate the particulate hop tea.
6) Poured it in a sanitized 2-liter (2L) bottle.
7) Using my carbonating cap and put 10psi on it.
8) Next, I inverted it to use the CO2 pressure to force it into my closed and purged keg. Using a gray gas connect on the 2L bottle and a black disconnect on liquid out. Both connected with a 3ft 3/16" transfer line. Popping off the black disconnect just before the 2L ran empty.
9) I had to vent my keg afterwards.
10) Then did my closed transfer for my pale ale and spunded.

The 2L was very clean, no particles got into the keg from what I could tell.

Don't know how it's gonna taste. It smelled damn good.

FWIW - I use my fermenter to purge my keg. Fermenter gas discharges to the keg's liquid out. My keg vents to a growler out the gas disconnect.

At filling time I swap keg lines using the 1/4" female flare swivels. Keg gas in to fermenter gas out. Keg liquid out to a fermenter ball valve fitted with a 1/4" male flare.

It's the easiest transfer yet. This was the first time I had the male flare on the ball valve.

Pictures of the flare fitting and my El Cheapo Menards Spund valve. It vents anything over 20psi right now. Then rechecks as you would expect a regulator to do. It's easy to adjust too.
10055.jpeg
IMG_20190414_212300.jpeg
IMG_20190414_203514.jpeg

FWIW - I use my fermenter to purge my keg. Fermenter gas discharges to the keg's liquid out. My keg vents to a growler out the gas disconnect.

As for LODO, my hats off to those that are disciplined enough to stick to it, but I will be leaving that to others for the foreseeable future. Using the primary fermentation to purge the keg it’s destined to occupy, is however BRILLIANT, and will be implemented here immediately!! Thanks for sharing!
:mug:

Latest posts

Back