What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filled some bottles with Barleywine so I have enough empty kegs for my next batch.
IMG_0632.JPG

^^^ $10 kegs, you cannot beat that!
Also cannot beat the 20lb co2 tank he threw in for another $10, serious score there! I only got three of the kegs, as the other were pinlocks and kinda messed up, and I didn't want to mess with them. But the three I got are in decent shape, just need some TLC and new o-rings, will be good to go.

Today, I kegged my five gallon share of Barrel Aged Maple BarleywIne (BAMBI) from my club's barrel project sub-group. It's currently cask conditioning with a primer of Grade A Robust/Dark maple syrup... even though it didn't need any more maple flavor. :ban: There's something to be said about splitting the cost of a 55 gallon barrel across several brewers and doing collaborations... this is my second batch of beer in the club barrel project, and I could never afford such things as a single brewer.

I also took 5 gallons of my 10A Weissbier and put it into kegs... then turned around and added 3lbs of blueberries to the second 5 gallons of the batch.

Bought a 20m self-retracting garden hose reel to the garage (will help a lot with brewing too), put a sink full of bottles to soak in clorine solution beating myself if I ever learn to rinse after each pour... Got a zillion dirty empties all around the garage again but trying to both clean up the garage and get back into brewing now that the motorbike is finished and ready for the season.

57836980434__E52350BB-83E1-4A35-AE6C-EBFB949C076A.JPG

Late last week I dug up my Centennial hops and replaced them with Comets from Great Lakes Hops. The Centennials never got above 6ft tall and only produced a few cones each year.
A good friend from my home brew club asked if he could have the Centennials I was going to dig up. I said sure. He picked them up tonight and left these IPAs on my doorstep as a thank you. Not needed but very much appreciated!!
Anyhow, what I did today was gave away 3-4 year Centennial plants (3) to a fellow home brewer and good friend!

Last night I threw my last pouch of OYL 605 lacto into my Sour Pineapple Shake FV, I'll give it a few days to sour then add pineapple puree.

Last edited:
Exchanged my "new" 20lb co2 tank on the way home from work; MAN those things are heavy when full! Good thing I'm a strong little woman. For some reason the regulator didn't want to go on the one I bought from my buddy this weekend, and I was worried I would have issues with this one; but no, it went on smooth as butter, all cranked up and happy to have enough co2 to last for probably a year now, with the little 5lb tank as backup, and also available for field trips! And it's a beautiful spring day, the hops are growing like, well, hops, and all is well with the world. And here is a goat. :goat:

But why though?

I will drink more Miller Lite than anything in a year no doubt so being able to HB some from a recipe that seems rock solid is something I am definitely interested in trying out. Plus I tried and failed at this type of beer last summer and it has been my only dumper...so revenge is part of it too.

I will drink more Miller Lite than anything in a year no doubt so being able to HB some from a recipe that seems rock solid is something I am definitely interested in trying out. Plus I tried and failed at this type of beer last summer and it has been my only dumper...so revenge is part of it too.
Fair enough. It definitely shows any flaws in process, I know a few people that brew a light American lager to make sure their sanitation is on point.

Don't let that beer whip you! Now it is the principle of the matter.

Exchanged my "new" 20lb co2 tank on the way home from work; MAN those things are heavy when full! Good thing I'm a strong little woman. For some reason the regulator didn't want to go on the one I bought from my buddy this weekend, and I was worried I would have issues with this one; but no, it went on smooth as butter, all cranked up and happy to have enough co2 to last for probably a year now, with the little 5lb tank as backup, and also available for field trips!

a 20# co2 cylinder will last 'me' a year, and i push a full 5 gal keg every ~4 days...(unless i get a god damn leak!)

and i'm going to order 60#'s of 2-row from morebeer....for a heroic week long brew session!

Finally ordered the sight glass for the keggle at brewhardware.com. Wish I'd done it a long time ago, will be nice to not have to use the gallon pitcher to measure strike & sparge, and know exactly what I've got in the BK. And just started the lauter on the Czech lager that I'm brewing today, first one with some water adjustments.

Back