What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8:15am: wistfully sniffed the airlock
12:45pm: optimistically sniffed the airlock
4:19pm: fiddled with some loose wiring on my ferm chamber
7:25 pm: impatiently sniffed the airlock
10:30pm: waited a full five minutes for a bubble, then sniffed the airlock
Ugh. Another week in primary, then two in secondary, then 10 days to bottle condition.
1:05am: swore a solemn oath to myself to never, ever let my pipeline run dry.

8:15am: wistfully sniffed the airlock
12:45pm: optimistically sniffed the airlock
4:19pm: fiddled with some loose wiring on my ferm chamber
7:25 pm: impatiently sniffed the airlock
10:30pm: waited a full five minutes for a bubble, then sniffed the airlock
Ugh. Another week in primary, then two in secondary, then 10 days to bottle condition.
1:05am: swore a solemn oath to myself to never, ever let my pipeline run dry.

And I thought I was the only lock-sniffer...

Brewed yet another batch of Electric Hop Candy Jr (a New England style Pale Ale) in the basement brewery. Cold and rainy outside so perfect day to brew inside!

23101108_520929508259343_4154814266794311680_n.jpg

Videos:

Mashing: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba1i5LNgvSS/
Boiling: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba1-dnQAKCz/
Extended Hop Stand at 180F: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba2FyESAb4W/

Kal

Brewed yet another batch of Electric Hop Candy Jr (a New England style Pale Ale) in the basement brewery. Cold and rainy outside so perfect day to brew inside!

Kal

Kal, if I had the cash for a brewery and tasting room like yours it would be on the ground floor of the house and my family would live in the basement.

I'd totally deck it out for them though.:rockin:

Bottled the American honey wheat I brewed a few weeks ago. Used WB-06, it attenuated down to 1.006--87%. First time I tried that yeast. A lot of people have negative comments about it, but I took a chance to see for myself. The hydro sample I drew tasted great. Can't wait for it to condition.

Used spent grain to make granola bars. This was the second time I did it. Turned out better than the first time.
Spent grain, dried in the oven tastes so good afterward, I have a little leftover that I’m gonna try as a cereal in the morning. To me, dry, it tastes like cracklin’ oat bran or something. I used a lot of grain for my IPA, so the leftover still has just a little sweetness.
The granola was made with some toasted oats, sesame and almond slices (all toasted) brown sugar, honey and a little semi-sweet chocolate. Oh, and salted sunflower kernels. I’m taking a couple of granola bars to work tomorrow and going to sprinkle a good amount of that granola on yogurt.
Can’t wait to try it all!

Kicked a keg, swapped in a full one... need to clean 2 kegs tomorrow and keg my house ale that has been in the fermenter for 10 days,this was done in 5 but I was in no hurry to keg it, my house ale and I just put a full keg in the beer fridge. An extra 5 days will maybe clear it a bit but I doubt it, Notty doesn't seem to clear well.

Picked up supplies for my next brew from LHBS. While there I applied for a job. 100 mile round trip, but 20% off supplies.

Ordered ingredients for this year’s Holiday Beer: 1M2H (single malt, two hops) + sweet orange peel

Haven't posted here in ages, but I bottled a batch of apfelwein. Trying to get back in the swing of brewing again.

Pulled the PRV on the House IPA Mark 2 I kegged the other day and is force carbing...then pulled a sample. Not flat, not carbed, but somewhere in the middle and very tasty. Couldn't resist. Then had a giggle at the husband who made a bet for Movember; no shaving and NO DRINKING for the entire month. So this keg is MINE. Mwahahahahahaha.

Drinking some House IPA and gazing lovingly at my Centennial Smash Blonde that should be ready to keg this weekend. And calculating how much adjunct grain I can cadge from my brewpub boss this weekend to brew my holiday ale.

Ordered a 400 micron, 6" dia.x 14" stainless hop filter from adventures in homebrewing. I'm going to recirc through it during the boil to maximize hop utilization, then empty the hops at flame out and recirc the chiller output through it to remove as much break material and trub as possible before knock out. Hopefully it will get here by Sunday, I can't wait to try it out!

Ordered a 400 micron, 6" dia.x 14" stainless hop filter from adventures in homebrewing. I'm going to recirc through it during the boil to maximize hop utilization, then empty the hops at flame out and recirc the chiller output through it to remove as much break material and trub as possible before knock out. Hopefully it will get here by Sunday, I can't wait to try it out!
Get a hop taco too!

Kegged up the Centennial SmAsh I did last weekend...then thought to myself got nothing else to do today, why not brew! Mashed in about 7:30 on another version of the House IPA just for the heck of it. Gotta love having grain on hand and enough propane left to do a brew on the fly.

I believe roughly 10 cu ft. Outside measures about 44 x 28 x 32 inches. Holds 8 cornys, a 10# CO2 tank, plus a box of hops etc. Pretty happy with it except for lifting kegs in and out lol.

Took a gravity reading of last week's brew. Found out I have a stalled fermentation at 1.030.
Stirred the yeast back up and tomorrow I get a heating pad to raise the temp up a bit.

Realizing that I have way too many bottles (19 cases of 12oz. long necks), I decided to get rid of some and gave several cases to a couple brewer friends who needed more. It's amazing how fast those things accumulate. :)

Moved a Christmas beer into the ferm chamber to crash. Dry hopped a few days ago and want it to clear.

This one will be bottled so I can gift. Friends can look forward to getting homemade beer, wine, eggnog and jerky for Christmas!

Back