What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed up some zombie dust and kegged and bottled the previous batch of it. Hopefully the 12er I bottled will be ready for consumption next week on vacation.

Did some more research on Bohemian hop varieties. not much on the old hops are mentioned, just Czech saaz hybrids. interesting, but not of much use for old-school beers. But new beers? Oh yeah, definitely. Cracking a couple of my buckeye reds a lil early. no money & saving the kottbusser. Harsh green taste is gone, but the trub & yeast aren't very compacted yet, so flavor is a bit muddled. May have to either reduce bittering, or add more of some of the malts. Cool new avatar I found on POC pic page...

I made my first Saison. Basically went with some pilsner malts, wheat, and centennial hops. Pitched 3724, so it's a pretty basic saison. I guess I will see what happens.

I made my first Saison. Basically went with some pilsner malts, wheat, and centennial hops. Pitched 3724, so it's a pretty basic saison. I guess I will see what happens.

Sounds good!

Brewing a base for a kriek now. Getting a run in during the mash.

Got my whiskely stout bottled up. Got 54-12oz bottles. At least the tighter tube on the auto-siphon worked right this time. That's three batches in the pipeline with bottles for two more! :ban:

After not brewing for almost a YEAR, I bought ingredients today for a friendly little homebrew competition for my local Ingress Resistance team. This was also my first time buying grain at the LHBS, rather than by mail, which felt good. Brewing on Friday!

Did a test run with just hot water with my new 30 plate Dudadiesel and camlocks that arrived Monday. Wanted to do a little test run before I brew with it hopefully tomorrow. I'm thinking I'm going to love this setup!:rockin:

Drilled a pilot hole, in my 60Q Concord Kettle, then punched a 13/16" hole. It was pretty difficult, and I destroyed a few bits, in the process.

Kegged about 4 gallons and bottled about 1 1/4 gallons of a 7% blonde so I have something to drink this weekend. I was going to keg only 2 gallons as the alc was coming thru but after a 2 day cold crash it had mostly faded away. Now I am a happy camper! lol:mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug::mug:

Brewed a "Biere de Garde" (that's what I'm calling it anyway) using S-33 yeast but Horizon hops. It's the first brew of mine I would consider a big beer, hopefully it'll ferment out to 7.5% ABV.

Crashed my 1L starter of WLP300. Tonight will check the gravity. First time using it, but it didn't seem like there was much if any activity (it shipped across country and heat may have damaged it, even with cold packs). My starters usually look like a lava lamp after 24 hours, and this went almost 3 days without much visible activity, so hopefully the gravity reading will be more telling. May repeat the starter tonight to make sure they're all alive in there before I brew my hefe this weekend.

Decided my avinator was looking a little dingy, so I broke out the spray bottle of Starsan & a towel to clean it. Good thing I did! After cleaning the clear bowl part, I decided to pop the center section out. I found this white stuff sticking to the bottom of the bowl that's beneath the pump section that snaps in. Cleaned all that stuff off. I always wondered why the Starsan looked cloudier after pouring it in the avinator. One more quick cleaning to do after bottling day.

Just made a 10' picnic tap from 3/16" polyethylene. Going to remove some dry hops now and get the beers on gas in the fridge.

Brewed for the first time in over a year. During the process, my immersion chiller sprang a leak. If it cannot be repaired, it will be replaced, likely with a plate chiller.

Getting set to bottle my Altbier. I hope to be able to buy about 100 more bottles to get the next 2 batches bottled, as they are both ready.

Fired up the grill. (It's blasphemy NOT to have a cook out on the 4th Of July, IMO) Grilled some burgers over good ol Kingsford with a couple chunks of hickory, heated up some baked beans, made my version of a Western BBQ Burger (hickory smoked burger patty topped with French fried onions, bacon, cheese and BBQ sauce) popped open a bottle of homebrewed cream ale and enjoyed. Live is indeed good. :tank:

We pit bbq'd burgers & fresh Hungarian sausage yesterday over Kingsford apple wood charcoal with my wife's black beans & adobo sauce that cooked a day or so in the crock pot. Washed it down with some IPA. Still got plenty of chicken burger meat & fresh sausage to keep the party going a few more days.:rockin:

Finally got my Altbier in the bottle! Color was great, as was the aroma. FG was 1.011 (est @ 1.010). Tasted it... Whoa!! Bitterness seemed about double the anticipated 37 ibu's. Hope some conditioning brings that down.

Brewing a Munich Helles today!

Yesterday, I brewed an American Stout while drinking Cream Ale and eating Ribs.. Realizing I need a bigger Boil Kettle.

Finished cleaning up this morning and checked on the conical. Since I pitched at 64* and slowly bringing up to 67*, but it's going, just on the slow side for now, which is how I want it.

Brewed an Imperial Stout, and then an impromptu partygyle with the additional 3.25g of sweet wort.

I am officially tapped out in terms of pipeline space. I've got both conicals filled - one 10g Red Rye PA, the other 10g American IPA, each in it's own ferm chamber. The Imperial Stout had to go into carboys, each with their own ferm chamber. The partygyle just got slipped into a corner with a swamp cooling setup on it.

At least the IPA will be ready to keg in a few days. So I can think about what to brew next - maybe something for Fall drinking.

I picked up some stick on blackboard vinyl yesterday. Cut it into beer glass shapes and stuck it behind the kegerator, so now I know what I'm drinking.

Cleaned a ton of bottles, including four new Grolsch ones. Got 8 or so to go. Then more home brews in the fridge for 40th reunion in a couple weeks.

Bought OxyClean Free and cleaned some stuff up. Getting ready to dry hop a brew that I hope fermented out enough before my basement temp got too warm.

Day off duties: Replaced the drain basket in the brewery sink. Freakin thing's been leaking for weeks. Also rebuilt the faucets cause they were leaking too.

Then I got down to brewsness: gelled an IPA that had been cold crashed a couple days ago, sterilized a couple of pint mason jars, collected some yeast slurry from the Rye PA, checked SG on that - day 13 and likely done at 1.012. Tasted the hydro sample - sultry and delicious. Time for dry hopping tomorrow!

Got my first ever lager into to a keg to secondary and put it back in my lagering freezer. Kegged my cream ale and stuck it in there two. Tapped a keg of witbier. Tonight I'll make some cider.

^
^^
I switched to SaniClean (also by Five Star) for my kegs and carboys. No more snakes. It's the low foam version of Star San but requires a 3 minute contact time... no bigs.

SWMBO got after me this morning to clean the dusty bottles in my collection on top of the computer hutch. I've had them all over the bottling table, the hutch, & the fermenter stand. All three are reaching critical mass! So I had her help me get all the bottles down so I could dust'em off & stash'em in the plain boxes I was using for rotation bottles. Slid'em under the drop-leaf table against the front wall for storage till I can get the labels off intact. Out of sight, out of mind for now. Guess my son's going to get a couple batches worth of bottles. That's if he's still gonna brew those beers with me?
At any rate, the room looks a little less cluttered, so SWMBO's happy & I got one less area with so much to keep clean.:ban:

Back