What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The idea with batch sparging is that you drain as quick as possible and are on your way to a boil long before pH or enzymatic problems would become a concern. Aside from the higher temperature meaning you're that much closer to a boil, it's completely unnecessary. It won't hurt though if you like doing it.

I always assumed that the hotter water would hold sugar better, increasing efficiency. Another topic I guess I have to add to my Research List...

I often sparge with cold water just for convenience sake. It has no bearing on efficiency or sugar solubility. The sugars are already in solution, they just need to be agitated loose and drained out. Stir well and use whatever temp water you want. Kai Troester's research was helpful in guiding me through my experiments.

Kegged a beer using a never-before-used (by me, at least) technique. Instead of the autosiphon, I ran a racking cane through an orange carboy cap and pushed the beer using CO2. It took a couple tries, but I got 'er going. I kinda like doing it this way.

Kegged a beer using a never-before-used (by me, at least) technique. Instead of the autosiphon, I ran a racking cane through an orange carboy cap and pushed the beer using CO2. It took a couple tries, but I got 'er going. I kinda like doing it this way.

I would like to start using this method, do you have any tips? or is it pretty easy? I despise my autosiphon, and want to get rid of it, once and for all.

Brewing a sour saison ... and wired my STC-1000 so I can keep it warm for fermentation (I'll build out a full chamber once I get a small fridge)
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393790955.861090.jpg

Racked my President's Day American IPA to the secondary. SG was 1.019. I was shooting for 1.016 but it could drop a point or two in secondary, though I doubt it. Next up dry hop and get it in bottles next weekend. I have to ship it to Philly on the 10th for the AHA Nationals.

Just curious, how long do you guys dry hop before bottling? I usually go 3 days, but I may go a bit longer to ensure there is a nice fresh hop nose on this for the judges.

Harry

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I would like to start using this method, do you have any tips? or is it pretty easy? I despise my autosiphon, and want to get rid of it, once and for all.

Yep, with one try under my belt, I learned a few things. The swivel fitting that attaches to the gas quick disconnect fits pretty well on the little tube that sticks out of the carboy cap. Letting the gas in slowly seems to work better than letting it blast in too.

Planning my next few batches of beer. I'm gonna start with a lighter Amber Ale, and build up a nice chunky slurry of WLP007. Then I plan on saving and pitching some of that slurry, into the few different batches. Including an Imperial Black Ale, a SMaSH, and an IPA.

Later on, I'm gonna toast some more 2-row, and use it in a batch soon.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of an Alaskan Amber clone but the best part is I was able to brew with my son who turned 21 a few months ago. The second best part is the fact that this is the first time I have brewed in 10 years. The last time I brewed my son helped as well but he was only 11.

The brew day went great from start to finish. Very excited to get this batch fermented through the first stage so the fermenter is free again for the next batch!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of an Alaskan Amber clone but the best part is I was able to brew with my son who turned 21 a few months ago. The second best part is the fact that this is the first time I have brewed in 10 years. The last time I brewed my son helped as well but he was only 11.

The brew day went great from start to finish. Very excited to get this batch fermented through the first stage so the fermenter is free again for the next batch!

Congrats on the family brew day!

Kegged a test batch of my hefeweizen that I'm trying to dial in for the rehearsal dinner. Also tasted my Kolsch (dubbed Cöölsch) after a month of lagering... Amazing!

Transmitted from the Millennium Falcon

Drank two of my brewing partner's English Bitters that have been sitting around for close to a year and has totally lost its carb.

Need the cellar space. Got to do my part. :)

Transfered a Fortunate Island clone to secondary. Actually put 1 gallon in a keg with dry hop and kumquats and the other 4 gallons to a bucket with dry hops. Looking forward to the final product.

Brewed my first batch with my dad last weekend...first for both of us. Ton of fun and am looking forward to our next batch!

Brewed my first batch with my dad last weekend...first for both of us. Ton of fun and am looking forward to our next batch!

I love doing things with my son. Our brew session today was special for me because he got married about 10 months ago and he came to me and asked if we could start brewing together as some one on one time. He remembered the time that we brewed when he was young and he also remembered it was about me trying to teach him to respect alcohol and also the importance of doing traditional things. Shortly after that first time brewing with him when he was 11 life got real complicated and I had to put brewing aside and work two jobs. What amazed me was the lesson that I was trying to teach him back then he understood and still goes by today. As for traditional things we do a lot of that in our family. For instance for the last 12 years I have shaved the old fashioned way with shave soap, brush, mug and a safety razor along with a straight razor on Sundays. I thought home to shave that way and he loves it. It may sound strange but before he got married and moved out we had many shaves together on a Sunday morning.

Anyway, johnmac, my point is, good for you to brew with your dad, I am sure it is something he will think about for a long time.

Technically last night, bottled a batch of what I'm calling Hop Water. Experimental extra low abv (1.020 OG) parti gyle. Cost: Time + $3 yeast and hops.

I love doing things with my son. Our brew session today was special for me because he got married about 10 months ago and he came to me and asked if we could start brewing together as some one on one time. He remembered the time that we brewed when he was young and he also remembered it was about me trying to teach him to respect alcohol and also the importance of doing traditional things. Shortly after that first time brewing with him when he was 11 life got real complicated and I had to put brewing aside and work two jobs. What amazed me was the lesson that I was trying to teach him back then he understood and still goes by today. As for traditional things we do a lot of that in our family. For instance for the last 12 years I have shaved the old fashioned way with shave soap, brush, mug and a safety razor along with a straight razor on Sundays. I thought home to shave that way and he loves it. It may sound strange but before he got married and moved out we had many shaves together on a Sunday morning.

Anyway, johnmac, my point is, good for you to brew with your dad, I am sure it is something he will think about for a long time.

I'm so jealous of you guys brewing with your sons / dads. I miss my oldest so badly - he's in west Texas about 500 miles away. Brewing together with him would be such a blast, as it was actually he that turned me on to IPAs when he was in college in California.

Bottled a juniper honey ale, cleaned all my equipment, then went and got a Pecan Porter recipe and some Pecans.

Made a starter from prairie dregs. Transferred my RIS to a secondary and added vanilla. Almost ready for bourbon soaked Oak chips a buddy of mine acquired from a Jim beam barrel

Sent from a happy little tree

Made a starter from prairie dregs. Transferred my RIS to a secondary and added vanilla. Almost ready for bourbon soaked Oak chips a buddy of mine acquired from a Jim beam barrel

Sent from a happy little tree

Awesome man. Youve been busy. Hope they all come out good and end up on my doorstep real soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bre

Getting ready for a brew day tomorrow, measuring out mash/sparge water, reattaching ball valves/fittings, weighing out grains/crushing them, and setting up my pots/mash tun.

I wanted to be able to start early, with no excuses not to. So, I prepared early...

Grain Bill: 5.5 gal "Toasted" Amber Ale
7.50 lbs. 2-row
1.00 lbs. 2-row (Golden) (oven toasted) (350°F for 15 min)
1.00 lbs. 2-row (Amber) (oven toasted) (350°F for 25 min)
0.50 lbs. Medium Crystal
0.25 lbs. Pale Chocolate

ok, the last 2 days, been working on my Chemistry of Beer course, bottled and kegged my O'Connor Red (Irish Red), cleaned 2 kegs, yesterday I polished off a couple Mardi Gras Bochs (Gotta respect Lundi Gras me cha) and took down a glass of my Biere de Boucher (couple more days and it'll be primo).

Being Fat Tuesday,We're having burritoes & I'm having ice beer & vodka as well. That's right,tomorrow is Ash Wednesday,so lent begins. Good excuse to experiment with various seafood dishes on Fridays.

Bottled off two samples of my Koksch for an upcoming competition. I've got high hopes for this one!

Transmitted from the Millennium Falcon

1393988069864.jpg

Had a busy night.

Brewed a cream of 3 crops

Kegged a cran-cider

Made a black currant cider

Dry hopped a citra ipa

Bottled a golden strong

Made a mezzaluna wine

Made a lacto starter

Moved one pilsner to 50°, another to 30°

Stayed calm, drank beer.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Had a busy night.

Brewed a cream of 3 crops

Kegged a cran-cider

Made a black currant cider

Dry hopped a citra ipa

Bottled a golden strong

Made a mezzaluna wine

Made a lacto starter

Moved one pilsner to 50°, another to 30°

Stayed calm, drank beer.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Dude! What dimension do you live in where there are more than 24 hours in a day?

Latest posts

Back