What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally ordered the last ingredients to do two batches of beer. Been procrastinating for too long on that. Got setup with brew day math stuff so there is no reason not to brew.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm counting the days till the 28th when I get paid to order some ingredients. That new fermenting bucket is calling to me. Just finished getting all those bottles rinsed.

Finished off a keg, cleaned it out, sanitized it, then racked in a fresh batch of IPA. Hydro sample was delicious, f.g. is at ~1.013-1.014.

Cleaned and sanitized about 100 bottles.. man I need to start kegging! ! I bottled my roasty parity Gyle... bottled my blueberry hefewiezen and made a yeast starter fir a hoppy wheat I plan to brew Friday. I also cleaned a carboy and fermentation bucket and dropped more bottles into pbw for label removal

Also took a gravity reading from my imperial stout and its phenomenal! About to rack it off on bourbon soaked oak after about a week of clean-up
Sent from richard simmons' living room

Kegged my first beer tonight. Even easier than racking to a bottling bucket and done. That's nice. Of course, I don't have to worry about cleaning taps and beer lines either as I am donating it to the Lions Club. I guess the downside is that I don't get to drink it...

Cleaned out the keg from my Foothills Hoppyum clone & racked my Porter to a keg for conditioning then cleaned the fermenter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My Buddy has this coworker, who is a home brewer, and was given a really nice sour beer. It was barrel aged, and I know it must have been hard to make...

So my Buddy wanted to give him something back, for being so generous, and asked if I'd give him one of my home brews. I said, "Of coarse," and gave him a bottle of my most recent APA. Nothing special, especially when compared to this guy's sour beer, but still I gave it to him anyways.

Turns out that he's a beer judge, possibly bjcp, and he filled out an entire form for me. He gave me a score of 38/45. I was excited to get an opinion, other than the typical "oh, that tastes pretty good". He was spot on, by saying "there was too much malt presence" makes sense because I used two full lbs of Munich, instead of my usual one pound, for 6 gal.

I started working on a PM version of a red ale in the recipe forums yesterday afternoon. I think the fella's name is maltilicious. Looked & sounded good for AG. Didn't want to do e/sg,so I puttered around with a pb/pm biab style of the recipe. Got a bunch of new bottles rinsed & dried,so I gotta get these plain bottles de-labeled to add to rotation after removing 4 cases worth of SA bottles.

I dont know about anyone else, but after seeing this thread I tend to find myself asking what have I done for beer today. I now feel like I have to do at least one productive thing for beer a day :D

I dont know about anyone else, but after seeing this thread I tend to find myself asking what have I done for beer today. I now feel like I have to do at least one productive thing for beer a day :D

Yup. Because of some loose-lipped member,you now have to manage doing something brew related. I guess i'll start some PBW in my homer cheapo bucket & delabel some plain bottles. :D:mug:

Finally decided to get serious about temperature control. Ordered my STC-1000 and some reptile heat wrap so far. Now to search for a small fridge to use for the cooling aspect and then I can build my chamber! :)

^^Richard must be havin' a fit,what with all that HB laying around!:D I decided that,since tomorrow is pick up the extra chit day,I'm doing some more spring cleaning in the ol' man cave before delabeling some bottles. Getting rid of odd-shaped boxes,extra packing paper,etc. I too felt like I had to do something beer-related after reading in this thread. See watcha'll done?!

Completely reorganized my brewery & work space to make my brew day more efficient & to make room for my new dedicated lager ferm chamber between my ale ferm chamber & lagering/cold crash fridge.

Smacked a pack of German 1007- making some caramunich for a friend and also for some kind of beer in a few days. Into the partigyle thing lately so I'll probably rack my lager to secondary to take advantage of the cake and do a maibock/ altbier on one mash.

Got this nice thing from Mr. Blichmann him self wanted to say thanks again for the help and everything you did for me.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392941030.322890.jpg

Tasted my sour mash. Getting good and sour. Should be ready to go tomorrow night as planned. If not, I'll deal with it on Saturday.

Hit the LHBS. I'm now stocked up for my next 10 batches, and mostly stocked for two more after that.

I also went to the LHBS. Hung out, sampled some beers, and talked...

Bought a sack of 2-row (Great Western).

1 gal jug, for my small batches of wine.

a vial of WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast, for my next few batches of beer.

Oh yeah, and a little bit of Wheat malt, and Rye malt, to play with in these next few batches of brew.

Paid for my entries in the AHA Nationals. Didn't make it on the first cut but I guess some of the lucky first rounders didn't pay up, so I got the nod yesterday to send in some beer. Just checked on the American IPA and the yeasties are happy!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Dry hopped a white ipa, cleaned out 3 kegs and filled them with the end of my co2 tank, and got the tank upstairs ready to be refilled tomorrow.

Went to Costco, picked up a couple 60Lbs. Vittles Vault's for about $20 bucks each, and also bought a heavy duty shelving unit, for ~$55, to organize my brew stuff.

I had a piece of stainless cut and punched to sit on top of my grain bed . Hopefully it will work ok for fly sparging. I'm drinking a white IPA that I made, quite tasty.

Racked my "swill" to a new keg, purged it with CO2 to let it chill overnight then I'll carbonate. It's not terrible, just a very dry, not even close to a scottish ale beer. Not even sure what it would be considered so I call it swill. Makes me happy to not have to go through the tedious bottle process for a beer I'm not jazzed about.

Just mixed up 3 gallons of water with 4.5ozs PBW to de-label some bottles. Still need 1/2G of boiling water to bring it up just over the tops of the longnecks. Still gotta bore the hole in my new fermenter for the Italian spigot I bought for it. I'm hoping the LHBS has the grains,etc I need for a pm red ale next Saturday.

Kegged my Irish Red Ale, then cleaned everything up.

Put together a heavy duty shelving unit, and organized my brewing area. Looks a lot better than before, when everything was just stacked on top of each other.

Checked the gravity of mu President's da IPA. Moving along nicely. Needs to be ready 10 March for shipping to AHA National Homebrew competition.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Bottled up 5 gal of a chocolate porter. Wife is due on Monday so I am trying to get things situated. Also kegged up a cider last night. Need to kick a keg to get this smash of the yeast soon.

Racked a black IPA to secondary.

Ordered a bulkhead and ball valve to replace the crappy spigot on my turkey fryer/boil kettle. I didn’t get a step bit to widen the hole, though, because it was too expensive for one use. Hopefully a countersink bit can do the job.

Bought some copper wire, solder, flux and a little torch to try to build a cage so my too-large Erlenmeyer flask can't fall off my too-small stir plate.

Productive day.

I owe my girlfriend 100$, but after reading a few pages i went right to an online store and ordered me some HB gear...

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back