What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove to more beer to get a sack of grain at 20% off, then drove to a different more beer to get another sack of grain the first was out of stock.

Got the results from the last contest I entered, won a first place on my Czech premium lager and a second place for my German Liechtbier. MaxStout's piwo grodziskie got the best score of the beers I entered with a 40 but no ribbon.

This morning kegged and tapped the lager on 'mystery' yeast that I fermented under pressure in my most excellent fermzilla. Came out pretty much fully carbonated, and damn if it's not one of the best pressure fermented lagers I've done in quite some time. A few more days conditioning will see it fully crushable by turkey day, when my daughter and son-in-law are coming to visit. Hope it lasts that long, I want them to taste it. Has a nice floral note from the Saaz hops I used late in the boil, nicely bittered, slightly malty, just a really good beer. Wow.

i made a recirculation box to use with my temp twister that i ordered

Attachments

• 1700426565895.png
    1700426565895.png
    804.4 KB · Views: 0
19L batch of pressure-fermented doppelbock, done around a quietish work day.

PXL-20231124-170900758-MP.jpg

75% Weyermann Extra Premium Pilsner
12% Munich II
7.5% Melanoidin
4.5% CaraMunich II
1% Carafa Special I

23 IBU of Hallertau at 60 minutes
2 packs WHC Einstein

1.075 pre-boil gravity and ~7.7kg fermentables really pushing my BrewZilla to it's maximum.
I ended up mashing for more than 120 minutes to get decent conversion...

I also cleaned the recently kicked keg of Prize Ale (by some distance the fastest I've ever polished off a Corny, I'll be sharing the recipe for that one later as it's probably the second best beer I've ever brewed).

Last edited:
Kegged the Crabapple Lambick for the 12 Beers of Christmas 2023 and the Fresh Hop Pale Ale from our homegrown hops. The Lambick is tasty, looking forward to bottling it in a week and shipping it out. The Fresh Hop Pale Ale, not so much, sadly. Tried a new yeast, White Labs London Ale. First taste out of the fermenter is the dreaded bubblegum ester, even though I fermented it cold. Oh well, hope it mellows as it carbs, but it may be a gift beer, since all of my tasters don't notice or don't mind that flavor.

Had to move my doppelbock in from my 8°C workshop to my 18°C office as it's been nearly 48 hours with zero yeast activity. I was intending on fermenting warm under pressure but accidently chilled below 16 before pitching and WHC Einstein is a very slow starter at the best of times.

Seems to be underway now though.

I kicked the grodziskie, and put the imperial stout on. Brewed up a weizenbock, which went smoother than expected after the nightmare that was the wheat wine brewday. Vacuum sealed all my hops that weren't already, and did an extra thorough clean of my equipment and accessories, as I'm done brewing until the spring.

Did my annual ingredients inventory in prep for yearly grain buy 'n' stuff.
Also swapped out a kicked keg for a freshie, and ran two empties through the Mark II.
One of those kegs had a sketchy gas poppet so swapped that out for a new-ish one that worked better.
Then poured a few small samples from the freshie. Yummy!

Cheers!

Ive really slacked on the brewing as my work has picked up, but I managed to keg the cream ale I brewed about a month ago. tastes wonderful. Glad I waited the extra week for the stubborn K97 Krausen to fall. Aiming to brew again on Friday but undecided if I should start a new line of pale ale/ipa/dipa or dive into lager season in the cool basement.

I ordered a pound of Citra pellets from YVH during their CyberMonday sale, and today decided I will use the whole pound for a Citra Hazy brew - like a hazy version of Three Floyds' Zombie Dust. So I whipped up a recipe, and will spin-up my 1318 overbuild stash into a 5L starter tonight so when the hops arrive I might be ready to roll...

20231130_212223.jpg

[edit] My stored jar of 1318 turned out to be from June 2023, and the calculator says do a 3 liter pass then a 5 liter pass to hit my pitch plus overbuild goal. So that'll push out the brew by a couple of days at least. C'est la vie 🤷‍♂️

Cheers!

Last edited:
Brewed a pale ale today. a bit of warrior at the start and finished with huell melon. Never brewed with that hop before but im trying to liquidate inventory and it smelled amazing, so in it went. Not dry hopping this guy cuz im unsure when I will be able to keg it, and Id like to time it with my next brew day to dump a DIPA over the top of the cake.
Then its on to lagers!

Slacking again in my bloviosity. Today kegged and tapped the last pressure-fermented lager I did, and I'm torn. For one thing, I brewed this in a hurry because I had other things to do that day; and completely forgot to attach the floating diptube in the fermzilla. Didn't realize it until the following day. Got it in there once primary was done, left it for a few more days. Tapped it just a bit ago, and although I am loving the huge floral aroma/flavor from the Saaz, it's dry as a bone. I mean like puckery dry. I'm hoping it will settle out into something more drinkable, but don't have super high hopes for it.

Bottled my Vienna Lager, a split batch of 34/70 vs. Novalager (using the many bottling procedure tips I've picked up from Homebrewtalk.com over the years, of course).

Right out of the fermenter, I think I favored the 34/70, but I'll reserve final judgement until it's cold, carbed and conditioned.

Attachments

• 20231203_101807.jpg
    20231203_101807.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Bottled a batch yesterday.
Old ale secondaried on about 1.5g/L dry hops, some boiled french medium toast oak cubes and Brett C.
Spent almost a year in secondary and stabilised a few months ago.
1.080-1.007.
About 10% abv with priming sugar included, ~70 IBU originally.

Attachments

• IMG_20231203_212112.jpg
    IMG_20231203_212112.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231203_104104.jpg
    IMG_20231203_104104.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back