What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helped my brother bottle his first batch in 5 years! A milk stout that was very tasty and sweet (FG came in at 1.020).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Drinking an IPA while my organic hefe is on the burner... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406317589.134196.jpg

Racked my 6.5 gallons of English Brown into my bottling bucket from my conical last night, then put in the fridge at 34* since I can only get my fermentation chamber down to 45* while my garage is in the 90's. Cleaned my keg this morning before work, just need to clean the extra bottles, prime it, then keg and bottle tonight, yeah buddy.

Cleaned a recently kicked keg, cleaned the kegerator lines, out a dip tube trap back on a keg , ordered whole hops & pellet hops for my next three brews.

Bottled my pale ale and cleaned & delabelled bottles for 2 more brews I've got fermenting.

Visited Yellowhammer's Beirgarten with friends and packaged my Regal Pale Ale sequel.

Tasted about 6-8 types of homebrew, the best being a coffee stout and Thai lager with citra and lime leaves... Both were awesome but the Thai did better in 96* heat today in SC! Bought ingredients for a blonde ale that ill jazz up with cascade and centennial.

Kegged up an IPA. Warm flat hydrometer sample was tasty, it'll be difficult waiting for the cool carbed stuff.

Brewed two gallons of cream stout and broke my thermometer.

Bottled my Honey Ale with my son. This is the clearest beer I ever made and I was bummed because I forgot to put in the Irish moss! Can't wait till the bottles are ready to go!

Busy day at the brewery. First I racked my six month old lambeec onto ten pounds of Montmorency cherries:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406498145.341172.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406498160.325774.jpg

Then I split my two week old saison. Three one gallon batches on two pounds each of mango, kiwi and pomegranate respectively. The last three gallons had Cantillon Brett added. Now to wait!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406498174.649889.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406498188.294243.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406498199.160008.jpg

And a big shout-out to coyote68 for the yeast! :rockin:

Going to bottle my Irish Red! It's turning 3 wks old today... I'm so proud!

oh jeeze.. I bottled a cabernet franc, kicked my cider, and out a big ole dent in my pale ale; which will be kicked sooner rather than later :)

Busy day at the brewery. First I racked my six month old lambeec onto ten pounds of Montmorency cherries:
View attachment 213895
View attachment 213896

Then I split my two week old saison. Three one gallon batches on two pounds each of mango, kiwi and pomegranate respectively. The last three gallons had Cantillon Brett added. Now to wait!
View attachment 213897
View attachment 213898
View attachment 213899

And a big shout-out to coyote68 for the yeast! :rockin:

It doesn’t look like it, but did you do anything to pasteurize the fruit? Last time I added fresh fruit (apricots) I briefly pasteurized but it wasn't enough. Most of those bottles became gushers.

No - I did the pomegranate last year in the same beer without any issue. I did sanitize the bowls, knife & cutting board to keep it as clean as possible, but if they gush so be it. I'm going to get about 8 bottles of each so it's not a big loss if it happens.

It doesn’t look like it, but did you do anything to pasteurize the fruit? Last time I added fresh fruit (apricots) I briefly pasteurized but it wasn't enough. Most of those bottles became gushers.

I've never pasteurized fruit as it totally changes their flavor and I've never had a problem. I currently have an American Wheat on apricots. I rinsed the apricots in a tub of water, transferred them to a bucket of StarSan, then squished them enough to split them open, packed and froze them. They went into the beer as a 10 lbs ice cube.

I've never pasteurized fruit as it totally changes their flavor and I've never had a problem. I currently have an American Wheat on apricots. I rinsed the apricots in a tub of water, transferred them to a bucket of StarSan, then squished them enough to split them open, packed and froze them. They went into the beer as a 10 lbs ice cube.

You should try freezing before the squishing. Freezing helps with breaking down the cell walls and makes it much easier. I made a saison then re fermented it on over 4 lbs of raspberries. Bought them frozen and as they thawed I kept squishing them in the bag. When fully thawed I cut the corner and dumped them into the carboy.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406586350.528329.jpg
Siphoning was really tough though with all the debris next time I'll have to some marbles.

Added the dry hops to my Columbus/Chinook IPA. It should be ready for kegging this weekend.

Replaced the blow off tubes with airlocks in my cream stout.

Bottled my all-grain wheat. FG overshot at 1.005. Sample tasted on the bitter side. So it's a higher-alcohol, lower body, extra bitter wheat. Still beer!

And got a pump in the mail! Woo-hoo!

Pulled out a gallon of a Brett Saison that has been aging for 2 years to see if it was worth bottling up and entering in the county fair. Unless they have a category for malt vinegar, I think not. It is a mighty fine vinegar though.

I made sure that Lost Coast's quality standards are still up to par as I drank some tangerine wheat.

I also fed my hops with some miracle grow. Two of my four 1st year plants are producing.

I picked up a 50 lb bag of Pale 2-row for my next few batches @ my LHBS. Crushed about 25 lbs while there plus the specialty grains. Also picked up the needed yeast & hops.
Got a CO2 setup for force carbing my lagers. I keg condition my ales.

Gotta order the stuff for my watermelon hefe. Put four styles of my beers on ice, since I finally got paid today. Dampfbier, saison, Irish red & ESB! Gotta wash some more bottles out right quick too.
* Decided to order the German hefe kit from Morebeer,all DME. Gunna add 3C of sugar baby watermelon juice @ flameout. Should be interesting with WLP300 yeast.

Back