What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I racked three beers to secondary, my Doug's Dunkel, a PumKing clone, & my Gingerbread Ale. Then I cleaned all the carboys & other equipment. Tapped my Attitude 65 IPA and tasted a sample (needs a little more time) & now I'm enjoying my DuPont Saison!

Replaced the leaky diaphragm on my #2 regulator on the keezer. And in advance of tomorrow's brew day, I ramped the temp back up on the fridge that serves as part time overflow storage for bottled beer and part time fermentation chamber.

Put my starter in the chamber to drop out and acclimate to the chamber before brewing tomorrow.

Going to brew Jamil's amber. Same malt bill but bittering with Columbus and subbing the 10 and 0 min additions with the same AAUs of Falconer's Flight

Cleaned up a brew kettle and a HLT, fabricated my first counterflow wort chiller, put together another mash tun from a 48qt cooler, made a starter of Safale US-05, all in preparation of a brew day tomorrow!!

Yesterday I French pressed some Illy espresso roast that was added to my oatmeal stout and subsequently put on CO2. Sample was fantastic and I can't wait till it carbs up.

I also drank a ton of beer. :D

I need to do that. Where did you order from?

Cynmar.com
Vials with autoclavable caps stock # 11527910.
Petri dish stock #13220696.
Still trying to decide if I'm going to order agar agar or go to the asian market .5miles down the road.

ahpsp said:
Bottled Jamil's Robust Porter.

How does it compare to Black Butte? On the CYBI podcast for Black Butte, Jamil says the recipe they provide is close to his robust recipe. I have the CYBI recipe and I own BCS, but have brewed neither.

I'd like to brew a porter next and keep bouncing between the 2 recipes.

Judged in the Southern New England Regional Homebrew Competition this afternoon. I overslept and wound up missing the morning flight but I was able make it in time to judge in the second flight. I got to judge IPAs, which I was excited for, but 9 out of the 10 I judged were pretty terrible, so that was disappointing.

A friend/brewer made a 10 gallon porter. He fermented 5 gallons with US-05 and then racked onto cocoa nibs. For the other 5, he fermented with the new Mangrove Jack Newcastle yeast.

Today I tried them both and told him what I thought. Tough job, but some bodies got to so it...

Judged in the Southern New England Regional Homebrew Competition this afternoon. I overslept and wound up missing the morning flight but I was able make it in time to judge in the second flight. I got to judge IPAs, which I was excited for, but 9 out of the 10 I judged were pretty terrible, so that was disappointing.

I judged not too long ago and was pretty disappointed as well. That's when I realized I didn't care much for judging... Most people don't care much for quality it seems or maybe I'm just an a$$hole

I made a hop spider!

image-3272545934.jpg

Brewed up my Gandhi-bot clone first attempt recipe. Had a good brew day. Got about 7% higher efficiency than calculated for and compensated by reducing the corn sugar addition from 1 lb to .5 lb. This seemed to do the trick according to BeerSmith since the OG wound up 2 points higher than the original recipe but the same ABV because of the reduced fermentability from the reduction in the corn sugar add.

Emailed out score sheets for the comp I helped with. Oh the things I'll do for BJCP points. The guy running the comp scanned and sent sheets to me as bigger PDFs and I had to break them down to individual entries and email to the entrants. Wheee!!!!

Put some 3726 on the stir plate to brew something later this week. Not sure if I'm doing a hoppy wheat beer or LOTM b3 or something else with the Muscadines that are smelling so dang good.

Brewed up my first attempt at a Porter. Used JZ's "whose your taddy" recipe. Went very smoothly. This will be, hopefully, my first competition brew if everything goes to plan. I live in Winnipeg, Canada, and we are having our first BJCP sanctioned event this November. Turning into a major competition with many pro brewers and home brewers competing. Should be fun.

In the process of washing 300 bottles.... Need to bottle some beer.

The dishwasher was mans greatest invention... aside from DVR. Who cares about electricity, the light bulb, or the airplane when you can drink home made beer and watch television without commercials?

The dishwasher was mans greatest invention... aside from DVR. Who cares about electricity, the light bulb, or the airplane when you can drink home made beer and watch television without commercials?

Without electricity, the DVR would not exist. ;)

Ya stupid electricity. It was a dumb invention and way overly hyped. :drunk:

I apparently ordered three pounds of hops last night while I was drunk. Didn't remember until I was looking through my e-mail and saw the confirmation e-mail this morning. Not the worst thing I could've bought, I suppose.

I was soaking a muslin grain bag I use for dry hopping in water,rinsed it a couple more times. then into an ice cream bucket with my stained nylon biab paint strainer bag with some PBW to get'em cleaner. Finished cleaning an Arizona ice tea jug for a gallon of what I call PBW MAX for my wife to get carbonized,burned on food deposits off her pots & pans without any muscle. My stout finished initial fermentation this morning. Gotta mix up another gallon of PBW for me. Good thing I bought two pounds this time.

Designed this recipe. What do you guys think? My beer smith #s were a little different especially in the IBUS where I'm going to have about 70-75. It's a RIS and my first attempt at one. Any advice?

image-737315133.jpg

I apparently ordered three pounds of hops last night while I was drunk. Didn't remember until I was looking through my e-mail and saw the confirmation e-mail this morning. Not the worst thing I could've bought, I suppose.

If you feel like doing this again, I can PM you my address to ship it to :tank:

Bottled 127 beers.... last night actually.

3 beers... Old Ale Wheat, Old Ale Munich, Old Ale Rye... an experiement. All are between 7 and 7.5% ABV. The taste tests were awesome. I can definately tell the difference between the three grains. Can't wait to see/taste how they all turn out. To keep true to the style, they should age several months. I don't think they're going to make it, so I suppose I should call them strong ales, or not so old, old ales. Brewed them two months ago and will probably leave them in the bottle for at least a month. I'll have to re-read the style notes to see how long they're actually supposed to age. 3 months may not be long enough.

Soaked some stains out of my nylon grain sack & a large muslin hop bag. soakin some stains out of my hydrometer tube. Interesting that PBW @ 1.5oz/gallon has a specific gravity of 1.012...

Picked up an extra packet of yeast for tomorrow's weizenbock brew session, kegged my 8.6% Autumn IPA, racked half of my non-sour saison variant onto a pound of sweet cherries, and am now working on adding a pound of rhubarb and 2 pounds of cranberries to my Cranberry Rhubarb Blonde Ale for an annual pre-Thanksgiving dinner.

Bottled 127 beers.... last night actually.

3 beers... Old Ale Wheat, Old Ale Munich, Old Ale Rye... an experiement. All are between 7 and 7.5% ABV. The taste tests were awesome. I can definately tell the difference between the three grains. Can't wait to see/taste how they all turn out. To keep true to the style, they should age several months. I don't think they're going to make it, so I suppose I should call them strong ales, or not so old, old ales. Brewed them two months ago and will probably leave them in the bottle for at least a month. I'll have to re-read the style notes to see how long they're actually supposed to age. 3 months may not be long enough.

Eh just call them middle aged ales

Back