What hop bags do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I have tried a few different ones and they all seem to let a good amount of hops into the boil. Anyone have any luck with a particular bag or mesh?

I use 6x9 drawstring nylon(?) mesh bags - not the stretchy mesh socks. They will hold up to 3 or 4 oz of pellet hops. They are also reusable. I've done a few dozen brews with them with no issues. The drawstring bags are sturdy with a reasonably tight weave so very little residue gets out. The drawstring is also handy for tying off on my BK handle so it hangs in the wort and is easily removable.

That said, there are many that just dump the hops in the BK. However, I'm one of those people that dumps my whole BK into the fermenter so I'd rather not have all the hops go in there, too. Even easier would be to use a hop spider but I haven't gotten around to making one yet.

I use the cheap muslin sock type bags from my local HBS. I use hop pellets if that makes a difference. Each bag can take up to 1oz and no debris gets out.

I use mesh vegetable steaming bags from Super H Mart, a Korean grocery store. They are disposable and do a great job with keeping most of the pellet particulate in the bag. I tried finding them online, but there is no English on the package. If you have a Super H Mart in your area, go get them. They are in the housewares department. A box of 12 is $2.99

I like Wilser's BIAB and hop bags:
http://biabbags.webs.com/

I was going to try some of those. I have an EBIAB set up which I may buy one of his bags for too.

I use 6x9 drawstring nylon(?) mesh bags - not the stretchy mesh socks. They will hold up to 3 or 4 oz of pellet hops. They are also reusable. I've done a few dozen brews with them with no issues. The drawstring bags are sturdy with a reasonably tight weave so very little residue gets out. The drawstring is also handy for tying off on my BK handle so it hangs in the wort and is easily removable.

I bought some from Amazon and they don't seem to hold much. Mesh might be too big.

I use the cheap muslin sock type bags from my local HBS. I use hop pellets if that makes a difference. Each bag can take up to 1oz and no debris gets out.

I used those once as a hop bag and never again. The muslin bags for grains are extremely stretchy and let almost all out.

This. It's easier to deal with hops mass/sludge when transferring. Just scale up your recipe a half gallon to account for this and spend no more time worrying about it.

I used to throw them in with no bag. I just don't feel like dealing with a lot of hop residue when transferring to primary or dealing with the trub when kegging. Plus it makes it easier to clean yeast to reuse.

I used to throw them in with no bag. I just don't feel like dealing with a lot of hop residue when transferring to primary or dealing with the trub when kegging. Plus it makes it easier to clean yeast to reuse.

Fair enough. I hope you can track down something that meets your needs.

I used those once as a hop bag and never again. The muslin bags for grains are extremely stretchy and let almost all out.

Admittedly I have never tried them for grains, but they work just fine for hop pellets.

I never recommend muslin bags for hops. You can practically push grains of rice through those holes. I have 8" x 16" tight mesh nylon bags with drawstrings that are reusable for a long time.

I never recommend muslin bags for hops. You can practically push grains of rice through those holes. I have 8" x 16" tight mesh nylon bags with drawstrings that are reusable for a long time.

I agree. I used one once and most of the hops ended in my kettle.

Oh man I wish I knew that when I placed my order. I'm sure I'll be placing another one soon.

5 gallon paint strainer bar clipped to the lip of the BK A few dollars for 2 at Home Depot. Or probably most any store that sells paint.

+1 to this, I've used the same 4 for almost 2 years. Throw them in the wash (not the dryer, they melt) and ready for the next brew.

Back