What have you gone to Youtube for instructions on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
It seems Youtube has how-to's and instructions on just about everything.

A couple weeks ago I went to youtube for instructions on how to break down, remove and remount an automobile tire on a rim, manually .. that is, just with hand tools and dish soap.

Today, I was installing a rotary dial telephone and needed to find out how to get at the little circular tag of paper in the middle of the dial that displays the home phone number so that I could erase it and enter a new one. (funny, nowadays that sounds like I'm talking about something digital)

Youtube came through with flying colors and great instructions both times.

What have you recently (or not so recently) gone to Youtube for how-to instructions?

I've watched numerous videos on homebrewing, mainly the northern brewer channel. I've also watched one on changing an exterior door handle on a 92 Camry, and how to polish the chamber on a Mosin Nagant, to avoid the sticky bolt syndrome, and a few on making solar panels from beer cans.

The driver's side door handle on my daughter's 98 Explorer would not open the door. Apparently, other people had the same problem. A guy filmed the whole fix-it routine, which involved a new generic 4" spring ($2 at Lowe's) and about 45 minutes of taking things apart & putting them back together. Saved probably more than $250 in repairs from the shop.

Oh my gosh, so many things! Just recently, off of the top of my head: cleaning blue crabs, making liquid glycerine soap, how to throw a cast net, and for my husband- changing a baby diaper (I kid you not). There are probably more, but those are just some that come right to mine.

Mostly vehicle specific maintenance and repair. I recently tried to do a simple job of replacing the brake pads on my Tacoma, having never ever worked on a Toyota besides changing the oil. I went from cursing Toyota engineers to thinking they are f-ing brilliant. All brake pad changes I've done in the past involved removing the caliper. After a broken brake line and having brake fluid spill all over me and my driveway I pulled up a YouTube video and realized that I turned a 10 minute job into a 4 day ordeal that didn't have to include removing the calipers.

On home brew related videos, ignore anything and everything by TakeSomeAdvice.

Mostly vehicle specific maintenance and repair. I recently tried to do a simple job of replacing the brake pads on my Tacoma, having never ever worked on a Toyota besides changing the oil. I went from cursing Toyota engineers to thinking they are f-ing brilliant. All brake pad changes I've done in the past involved removing the caliper. After a broken brake line and having brake fluid spill all over me and my driveway I pulled up a YouTube video and realized that I turned a 10 minute job into a 4 day ordeal that didn't have to include removing the calipers.

On home brew related videos, ignore anything and everything by TakeSomeAdvice.

That's nuts! I just did the brakes on my wifes rav 4 about 30 minutes ago...took off the caliper and was puzzled like you. Hopped on youtube and seen that you just take the sliders off with a 14 mm wrench and your golden.
Too bad I went to do the rear brakes and the ****** at auto zone gave me the front set of rotors and pads instead..I went back and picked up the right ones but decided to do all 4 corners since it only takes about 10 minutes a wheel.
:mug:
Also used youtube to tie a tie, shuck a oyster, change fork seals on a Klr-650, grow certain carnivorous plants and about a billion other odd things that have fled the mind because it is Beer:30pm.

FermentNEthinG said:
That's nuts! I just did the brakes on my wifes rav 4 about 30 minutes ago...took off the caliper and was puzzled like you. Hopped on youtube and seen that you just take the sliders off with a 14 mm wrench and your golden.
Too bad I went to do the rear brakes and the ****** at auto zone gave me the front set of rotors and pads instead..I went back and picked up the right ones but decided to do all 4 corners since it only takes about 10 minutes a wheel.
:mug:
Also used youtube to tie a tie, shuck a oyster, change fork seals on a Klr-650, grow certain carnivorous plants and about a billion other odd things that have fled the mind because it is Beer:30pm.

Wow, you mean you have an actual bolt or nut holding your wife's brake pads in place? My Tacoma has only some lock pins and sliders. All I needed after removing the wheel was a pair of pliers. However, I removed the caliper and broke the rigid line connected to it. It's all good now after getting the replacement line and bleeding the entire system.

Apparently, I am in the minority, as many people I talk to love learning things from videos. I HATE watching videos -- mostly because the producers take a looooooooong time to get to the point, leaving me to wade through a bunch of non-essential drivel to get what I need out of it. Most videos are at least 3X longer than they need to be. Information retrieval/ dissemination is very inefficient, IMHO. Give me a bullet point list and a few pictures almost every time...

Recently repaired a friend's dryer. Looked up the exact dryer model, and the disassembly was all right there, and easy. There is a wild guinea running around the subdivision. I looked up male and female guinea, to determine the sex of this bird by it's call. Might have to find Mr. Guinea a mate...(they eat fleas, ticks, mites...good for the neighborhood!)

I rarely watch the stupid stuff, but I certainly use it as a tool to gain knowledge about a particular subject of interest.

Removing a water pump from an '03 Focus without pulling the engine, replacing a basement window in a concrete block foundation, replacing the lenses in ski goggles, installing a laptop hard drive into an external case. Just to name a few. I'm sure some of this seems rather intuitive to other people, but I don't think I can beat the one about how to change a diaper.

Fixing a totally flat tubeless tire on a wheel barrow

Installing a dishwasher

A lot of homebrew videos

Hey, it beat paying an extra $600 for a contractor to install. I was worried about connecting the natural gas. Turned out that was the easiest part of the job.

Baby Heimlich maneuver. I didn't need it but I was brushing up.

Mostly auto pair, recently I had the misfortune of trying to replace the rear drum shoes on my daily driver. Couldn't get one wheel off and couldn't get the other drum part, after several "tips" videos gave up and took it to the shop. With my new project a 1963 ducati 125 bronco cafe racer project, been watching a lot of fiberglassing videos.

Oi....

The use of aboriginal tools in lithic reduction,
Breaking the bottoms out of glass bottles,
cleaning keihin carbs on a motorcycle,
Electrolysis cleaning of the motorcycle's tank,
transcendental meditation,
Tibetan throat singing,
Micmac honor song,
wild edible identification,
she-ta-ke mushroom propagation,
abdominal exercises,
many, many more

unlocking a car door with a potato

tying a bow tie. Seriously the hardest knot I've ever tied, including nautical knots.

Latest posts

Back