What hardware for passing glycol lines thru wall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Because my DIY A/C chiller's compressor isn't intended for use in a chilly garage, it looks like I may need to have the glycol lines pass thru the garage wall into a utility room.

Are there some sort of bulkhead fittings that are used in this situation? I'm using 3/8" silicone tubing. Wall appears to be typical 2x4 framing with drywall.

A bulkhead fitting isn't really necessary here. You could simply drill holes just larger than the OD of your tubing and push them thru the wall, similarly to how many run a co2 line into a kegerator.

Agreed that a fitting isn't required, but I thought it might sell the idea to the missus.

Bobby came up with the idea to use heating tape on the compressor, which seems like the best solution to my problem.

I appreciate the help I've gotten from the forum, this would be much harder running solo.

I used a 3” pvc pipe as a sleeve. Then I ran the insulated lines through the pipe and filled any air gaps with spray foam. The pipe itself is about 1/2” longer than the wall is wide and held in place nicely with caulk. This is basically the same method they used on my house a/c to bring the refrigerant lines from the compressor to the air handler through my foundation wall.

Latest posts

Back