What happens if you pitch a lager without a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HootHootHoot

Reaction score
I am planning my first lager, and I'm curious what happens if I don't have. Starter. I am planning on brewing today, and have no starter ready.

Thanks!

Probably under-attenuation. Your beer won't ferment all the way and will be sweet and low alcohol.

Do you gave dry or liquid yeast? Dry has more cells. Also, some lager yeasts work at warmer temperatures, which greatly reduces the amount needed.

You need a starter (or a ton of packs of yeast) for a lager, they require 2-4 times as much yeast as your average ale because of the low fermentation temps used in making lager. Underpitching will result in a lot of off flavors and possibly and incomplete fermentation. I'd recommend delaying brew day until you have a starter, check with MrMalty.com for how big of a starter (or how many packs of yeast) you need for your beer.

You need a starter (or a ton of packs of yeast) for a lager, they require 2-4 times as much yeast as your average ale because of the low fermentation temps used in making lager. Underpitching will result in a lot of off flavors and possibly and incomplete fermentation. I'd recommend delaying brew day until you have a starter, check with MrMalty.com for how big of a starter (or how many packs of yeast) you need for your beer.

Or run and buy three packages of yeast. That would work, too.

Latest posts

Back