What happened to The Great HBT Stogie Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey 6midgets,
I have to be careful what I smoke to avoid being overwhelmed, and usually end up with one of the Connecticut wrapped cigars. Unfortunately, too many of them taste strange to me. I have found a few that I really like, though, such as Undercrown Shade, Montecristo White Series, and Cabaiguan Natural. Runners-up include Camacho Conn. and Rocky Patel American Market (a Famous Smoke exclusive).

When I get the urge for a little more flavor, I move up to something like the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story, Cabaiguan Maduro, Oliva G Series, or the Sancho Panza, as featured in Staestc's last post.

Thanks Minky. I have found Connecticut shade to be right in my wheelhouse. I think I still need time to develop my palate. I just got a sampler in that I ordered online that's all Connecticut wrapped sticks so hopefully I can find something that I like. So far I only really liked the Kuba Kuba.

Thanks Minky. I have found Connecticut shade to be right in my wheelhouse. I think I still need time to develop my palate. I just got a sampler in that I ordered online that's all Connecticut wrapped sticks so hopefully I can find something that I like. So far I only really liked the Kuba Kuba.

Man you'll get there quicker than you think. The key is to not settle, but push yourself to try stuff. If you hate it, throw it away. If it's too strong, chuck it. I found a whole new world of flavors by plowing through samplers (and the asshats on botl definitely enabled too)

Tonight, heaven. Every single vitola is perfect in the fable lineup. Dark chocolate, dried fruits, fresh brewed coffee, and a handful of caramel 80. No joke. Try them. Purocigar.com even has a sampler deal on them! (They have a discount code too) (#notaffiliated, but i will support that small business :) )

View attachment 1508981383085.jpg

Man you'll get there quicker than you think. The key is to not settle, but push yourself to try stuff. If you hate it, throw it away. If it's too strong, chuck it. I found a whole new world of flavors by plowing through

I think samplers are the way to go. I just realized this past week that you can order cigars from the internet. Now I don't have to deal with my crappy local cigar shop. I'll check out those Fable cigars. If I don't like one then I can just age to others in my humidor till my tastes change.

@6midgets, you have the right attitude. Stick to singles and samplers. If something is too strong know it will mellow with time and huge kudos to you for recognizing your tastes will change over time.

Hey 6, give cigars international a look online they usually have great deals on samplers

Been away for awhile. Afternoon all.

B17EBE6F-ECF1-4F44-B25F-54FED7735A88.jpg

@6midgets, you have the right attitude. Stick to singles and samplers. If something is too strong know it will mellow with time and huge kudos to you for recognizing your tastes will change over time.

Singles today, boxes tomorrow. I see where this is going. The slope is steep.

Many of us started with samplers until we found our preferred profile. I like famoussmoke for samplers. I like Perdomo, pinar del rio, oliva, torano and drew estate. They also make samplers by either wrapper leaf or strength. A fav Conn for me is the Perdomo champagne.

Tonight’s appetizer.
View attachment IMG_2444.JPG

Those BOTH look YUMMY!

Cheers
Jay

They were!

Rincon Habanero is a cool authentic little spot run by Cuban immigrants (to Panamá). A little neighborhood bar with a shop next door that sells Cuban stuff, including cigars.

Its in the Cangrejo district of Panama City, which is an upscale area with lots of bars and resturants scattered along the sidewalks. Our favorite area in Panama City.

Patio on front of bar where you can sit and smoke a stogie. Cangrejo is also a university area, so some of the scenery strolling past the patio is quite nice...just adds to the ambiance! 😆

@sprouthog thanks for the recommendation on the Perdomo champagne. It is the first cigar that I've had where I could taste distinct flavors through each third. The first part I could taste woody cedar notes with ground coffee aftertaste. Then in the second part the coffee faded and I started picking up faint coconut. The last part coconut faded and I could taste black pepper. Wow. I've been watching videos on how to taste a cigar and the retrohale is what I've been missing. What should I try next. I'm hooked. View attachment IMG_4068.jpg

@sprouthog thanks for the recommendation on the Perdomo champagne. It is the first cigar that I've had where I could taste distinct flavors through each third. The first part I could taste woody cedar notes with ground coffee aftertaste. Then in the second part the coffee faded and I started picking up faint coconut. The last part coconut faded and I could taste black pepper. Wow. I've been watching videos on how to taste a cigar and the retrohale is what I've been missing. What should I try next. I'm hooked.
View attachment IMG_4068.jpg

@sprouthog thanks for the recommendation on the Perdomo champagne. It is the first cigar that I've had where I could taste distinct flavors through each third. The first part I could taste woody cedar notes with ground coffee aftertaste. Then in the second part the coffee faded and I started picking up faint coconut. The last part coconut faded and I could taste black pepper. Wow. I've been watching videos on how to taste a cigar and the retrohale is what I've been missing. What should I try next. I'm hooked.
View attachment 418713

I’d try some fs samplers. Mild, medium and full.

Panajachel, Guatemala. Stogie and a brew at sunset.

Lago Atitlan here is an awesomely beautiful high altitude lake fringed by volcanoes. Staying at a friend's place here. You cant quite see the lake from here, but you get a nice backlit sunset view of the volcanoes.

Stogie is a reject from the little cigar fabrica near where I live in Panama. Its labeled "SantaMaria Panama". The wrapper is a little buggered up, but it draws fine and is quite tasty.

The beer I had to buy for just the name alone. Its a craft brew from El Salvador named "Hija de Pooh". This is a play on a Central American slang term "Hija de Puta"..." Daughter of a Whore". They list the style of beer as a Blonde Honey Ale...thus "Hija de Pooh" ...as in Winne the Pooh...Honey...get it? Well...I thought it was funny anyway. 😉 And its an OK beer too.

View attachment 1509674559081.jpg

View attachment 1509674809831.jpg

Back