what happened to my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
I made a started with wlp002 yesterday - it has been spinning for about 20 hours and it look like curdled milk? What happened?

I assume this is not good to use?

yeast starter.JPG

Looks like a cottage cheese yeast shake!

Just like Hammy said, what you're seeing is perfectly normal for a starter with WLP002/WY1968ESB.

Watch your ferment temps carefully with this strain. Start it at 63-64*F. When it starts to slow down, bump it to 65-66. A few days later, raise it up to 68-69*F until finished. If it stays too cool after activity slacks off or if you have a temp drop, it will fall out of suspension prematurely and form the most solid, rubbery yeast cake you've ever seen. You'd have to rouse it with a sanitized spoon since swirling won't even budge it.

just adding another 'yep' to the ones above. i love that cheesy yeast. scared the dump out of me the first time i saw it clump up like that. def keep an eye on it and raise the temp like bigfloyd says

+1 to all of the above. Did a starter with this yeast a week ago and looked just like that. You MUST watch temps cuz it will go dormant in a hurry. Problem I'm having now with a stuck fermentation.
Cheers

I remember the first vial I bought of 002 and remember thinking the same thing before I pitched..you are all good

I remember when I harvested yeast from a bottle of beer it looked like cottage cheese. When I let the yeast settle and then decanted and added more wort the yeast broke apart and looked normal. You can try this if you wanted.

Back