What happend here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labratbrew

Reaction score
Let solution of one step in turkey pot and came back 1 hour later to find it blackend.... Guessing oxidation??

ForumRunner_20120325_173430.jpg

Looks like that is an aluminum pot??

If it is I recall reading somewhere that onestep/oxyclean can cause this reaction if you let it sit for a while. My other guess is a galvanic reaction to another unlike metal in the pot soaking in the cleaner.

Did this with a used 5 gallon pot my grandmother was tossing. I had to refill it and soak it for ~20 minutes and scrubbed the hell out of it to get it back off. Took 2 or 3 tries to get it "mostly" off.

RiverCityBrewer said:
Looks like that is an aluminum pot??

If it is I recall reading somewhere that onestep/oxyclean can cause this reaction if you let it sit for a while. My other guess is a galvanic reaction to another unlike metal in the pot soaking in the cleaner.

Do you think its harmful?

I would say scrub it lightly. Any loose stuff coming off is good. Boil a full fill of water for about 1/2 hour. This will create an oxidation layer. Do not scrub this off. Additional cleaning, just a light wash and rinse.

Back