what gravity to bottle brett saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwmiscik

Reaction score
So im wondering when I should bottle a saison I brewed. The primary yeast was 3711 and that got it down to 1.010 then I pitched in a 1.5 liter starter of brett b which now has the beer down to 1.002 and tasting amazing (kinda like peaches). My question is when do I bottle and not have worry about bottle bombs? Also how much priming sugar should I add and what kind? I normally use normal table sugar but I have malto dextrine as well and ive been contemplating using that to feed only the brett in the bottles and letting them do the carbonating for me. Any input into this subject would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone. :mug:

If you are down to 1.002 you won't have to worry about bottle bombs, theres nothing left in there. The only thing that will continue on is the priming sugar you put in.

Need more info on the batch to answer your question. Batch size??

There are calculators you can use to find out amount of priming sugar. I have an app on my phone, super convienient. HERE is a good one. Also if you use Beersmith or others, they can calculate it for you too.

SIDEBAR: What is Brett B??

Thats what I was thinking. I kind of want to prime with the malto dextrine that way only the brett is working in the bottle. This is where my problem lies because i do not know how much co2 is created by brett when eating malto dextrine so do I prime as normal like say 3/4 of a cup of malto and a 1.5 cups of water or is there a different ratio I should be using because im not talking about sacchromyces were talking brett. It is a five gallon batch size maybe alittle bit more but essentially we are talking 5 gallons. unless maltodextrine wont work as priming sugar which I have no idea just kind of assumed it would. O yeah, and I am shooting for 3 volumes of co2.

While I am not sure of maltodextrin, here's the rate's you should pitch at for 3 volumes for 5 gallons.
Corn Sugar: 6 oz.
Sucrose: 5.5 oz.
DME: 8.4 oz.
I pulled that from an app on my phone called Homebrew Calculator. In my experience, it's been pretty accurate.

While I'm not sure of the pitching rates, I'm willing to bet that if you only prime with maltodextrin, it will be a slow carbonation.

SIDEBAR: What is Brett B??

Brettanomyces bruxellensis. Clickys.

Thanks the advice everyone. I just talked to Vinnie at Russian River and he said to just bottle and age and not worry about bottle bombs and just use the normal amount of prming sugar because the saccharomyces that are left in the beer will get to the sugar way before the brett and carbonate it as normal. He also added that as the beer aged in the bottle more and more brett character would become eveident because the brett will continue to eat the left over saccharomyces and any residual dextrines as well as other non fermentables that are left in the beer at bottling. Great information from the guy who does it best. Thanks everyone

dude whats your recipe for this if you wouldn't mind- im interested in doing something very similar

Thanks for posting back on the info from Vinnie!

And I'll second the motion for you to post the recipe.

While I am not sure of maltodextrin, here's the rate's you should pitch at for 3 volumes for 5 gallons.
Corn Sugar: 6 oz.
Sucrose: 5.5 oz.
DME: 8.4 oz.

Assuming 70 degrees and 3 volumes for 5 gallons i get

Corn Sugar: 5.8 oz
DME: 8.12 oz.
Cane Sugar: 5.52 oz
Honey: 6.57 oz.

Good luck!

wouldn't mind seeing a recipe either - sounds interesting... so many beers to brew, so little time... haven't brewed in weeks and am DYING.

This is my recipe, I have tasted the hydrometer samples and it has an extremely pleseant peach note to it. I will be bottling this friday or saturday and once it is carbed I will definitely post back with tasting notes. I am quite positive this is going to be a fantastic saison. :mug:

Name: Rapture
Brewer: rwmiscik
Style: Saison
Batch Size:5 gallons
OG:1.061
FG:1.002
SRM: 9
IBU: 27.6
ABV:8.3%
~199 calories per 12 oz

MALT AND FERMENTABLES

% LB OZ Malt ppg °L
77% 9 4 English Maris Otter inf 34 4 ~
10% 1 4 American White Wheat 39 2 ~
8% 1 0 Acidulated Malt 33 2 ~
4% 0 8 Crystal 60L 34 60 ~

HOPS

use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.25 Saaz info pellet 3.5
boil 10 mins 1.0 Saaz info pellet 3.5
boil 1 min 1.0 Saaz info pellet 3.5

YEAST

Wyeast French Saison (3711)
Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (WLP650)

MISC

use time amount ingredient
boil 15 min 1 tbsp Irish Moss

NOTES

1.Mash at 156 for 60 minutes. Doing this creates long chain sugars that are not fermentable by the 3711 and should make them stall out at about 1.010. You want this to happen because these long chain sugars that are not fermentable by the 3711 are fermentable by the brett and now there is still food in the fermenter for the brett to munch on and you dont have to add any maltodextrine to get the brett character you want.

2.Pitch primary yeast at 70F and after ~1.5 days ramp temperature up to 75. Then after two days at 75 ramp the temp to 83 degrees.

3.Once the 3711 stalls out at 1.010 (which is where mine did) you add the 1.5 liter starter of brett straight to the primary fermenter because brett will also chew on saccharomyces and clean up their mess for them (starters of brett take much longer than regular yeast so make the starter 4 or 5 days before you plan to pitch). Once you add the brett after about 8 or 9 days the beer should be down to ~1.002 and this is when you want to bottle or keg.

4.Bottle as usual with normal amount of priming sugar. The left over saccharomyces will get to the normal sugar before the brett do and carb the beer just like any other beer. In the bottle the brett will keep working and over time will bring the beer down to 1.000 and continue to give more and more brett characteristic. So this beer will do well with age.

Latest posts

Back