What Grain Mill for Millet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey man, I guess I worded my questing wrong. I'm asking what manufacturer or brand of mill everyone is using. The reason I asked was the folks at monster mill said their knurls are too big and that the millet would sneak through. They'll do a custom one so I'll go with that but it's more of a curiosity question.

My bad. But in that article it does mention "Mill your grains to release the starches within the grain. It is recommended that you do not mill your grains coarsely, but more finely as to release as much of the starch as possible. To release the starch from within MILLET and buckwheat malt a mill gap setting of 0.65 – 0.70 mm is recommended". As for a brand can't help ya there sorry as I've only used a heavy duty rolling pin for some partial mashes and not an all grain bill.

I was researching the same thing the other day and bookmarked that page for future rice milling protocol. Seen your post and thought I'd share.

I have a monster mill MM3 and it works perfectly. I got the one with the larger rollers thinking that would be more friendly for millet but there are lots of people that use various versions with success. The only critical thing is that you have to be able to adjust the gap. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the two roller version rather than the 3 roller. For millet, you set the gap with feeler gauge somewhere between 0.010" and 0.030" depending on the crush you want and run it through either once or twice and your fine.

Since my grain bill always has less than 20% buckwheat and rice, I just mix it in and run it through together with a gap of 0.020". It works just fine, but if you have large amounts of buckwheat or rice consider running them through separately with a larger gap.

Latest posts

Back