What gives with all the Sam Adams commercials?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrickar

Reaction score
Yeah, we know you make more than Boston Lager...

Sheesh. Seems like every 3rd ad on TV is a Sam Adams commercial. I used to like the song 'Shipping off to Boston' before I heard it in their commercial a gazillion times...

They have money, they make ads, people see ads, people buy beer.

I think that's the goal anyway.

I know it's popular to look at Sam Adams as if they are the epitome of evil for craft brewing, but those commercials are part of doing business. Gotta keep the name out there so people try the product.

Besides, the commercials aren't really all that bad - in my opinion. Maybe your local market is just saturated in the ammount of commercials played per hour.

Sam Adams sales continue to grow, but their percentage of "market share" has declined. So the ad blitz is to fight back for market share.
Market share is important because shelf space is valuable and big box stores and supermarkets won't waste shelf space on items that don't move volume and produce profits. Bars also don't want to devote tap space to beers no one has heard of, or they only have one or two taps of specialty beers, so brands like Sam Adams have to keep their name out there all the time. Some Sam Adams beers I like a lot, others not so much, overall I think they have a pretty good product mix.
I really like their latitude 48 deconstructed 12 pack. You get to taste their base IPA made with individual hops like EKG, Zeus, Mosaic, Hallertau, and Simcoe, along with the "48" that has all those hops in it.
I don't buy into the "its big beer so its crap" line of thinking, although for some beers this rings true. Sam Adams is a big producer and they make some good, and some above average beers, I wish I could be one tenth of one percent as successful as billionaire Sam Adams founder Jim Koch.

I like some of their beers, just irritated at the barrage of ads. For an hour long show, I can see the same SA ad anywhere from 3-5 times, which is annoying no matter what product is being plugged...

Now if it were hawt chix drinking Sam Adams and playing beach volleyball, I might not mind seeing it that often. ;)

I haven't seen any of their recent commercials, but it makes sense for them to advertise. Keep in mind that a lot of people who are already interested in craft beer are getting their information about craft beer from the internet or from craft beer stores.

The "uninitiated" who are looking at getting in to craft beer are shopping for alternatives that they can buy at their local grocery store because they often don't know about bottle shops. They'll see things like Blue Moon, New Castle, Killians, and then there's Sam Adams. Some stores have a better selection, but I'm being very generic here. If they aren't getting their information from the internet, they're probably getting it from television. Sam Adams is scooping all of these people up who want to be a part of the crowd who drink better, more flavorful beer. It makes sense for them to appeal to an emerging client base.

This is what I've seen at least. When I bring up the topic of craft beer with people who aren't very invested in the subject, they usually reply with something like Shock Top, Blue Moon, and even Guinness.

Hrrrm, I see their commercials on occassion, but I usually don't see them more than once every two set. Maybe they're running a big ad blitz in your area?

Good luck to them. I really like their beers. Have yet to be dissatisfied with one. Here in the states we are truly spoiled with the range of beers readily available. Sam Adams is well deserving of its popularity in my view.

Back