What Equipment Could Make My Life Easier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHairyHop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my girlfriend wants to know what I could use for Christmas. I'm at a loss and figure something for brewing could be cool, but I don't know what I need. I'd like to maximize the awesomeness :p

right now I have

C02 to fill and dispense one keg
A mini fridge for that keg
A monster mill (it isn't set up yet though)
Small jugs for starters
6 gallon carboy for fermentation
2 5 gallons for possible secondary
Siphon with silicon hose
Bayou burner with keggle
Cooler mashtun using a ss braid
Immersion Wort chiller

Anything not on here that you guys got and changed your work load? I'm leaning towards a yeast set up (flasks, stir plate, etc) but I'm not certain. Thanks for any input!

If you don't have the setup to make yeast starters with a stir plate that is definitely #1.

I suppose a refrigerator for fermentation temperature control is out of the question? :p But even assuming so, I think #2 is a temperature controller and some sort of heater wrap, and plan to get a fermentation fridge off Craigslist or similar after the holidays.

Wort oxygenation system is #3. It could even move to #2 if you already have a good, constant-temp location for fermentation.

I see you say "siphon" but is it an auto-siphon? If not that is a nice convenience.

A keg & carboy washer is a great convenience.

Do you have a sensitive scale for hop and salt measurement?

You don't mention a wort chiller, but you must have one already, right? If not that is of course a must.

I have a small chest freezer I converted to a fermentation chamber. I hard wired a STC-1000 temp controller to it and it holds two 6.5 gallon carboys at the perfect fermentation temp. Pretty sweet...

Do you have a brew stand and a pump? When I added a pump my brewing got a lot easier.
I'm good with a welder, so I'm going to make my own soon. What do you use the pump for?
I have a small chest freezer I converted to a fermentation chamber. I hard wired a STC-1000 temp controller to it and it holds two 6.5 gallon carboys at the perfect fermentation temp. Pretty sweet...
This is a good idea. I'd like to lager or make belgians at the moment
Wort chiller. ASAP. You'll thank me later. ;)
I already have it. Adding to OP (forgot)

wort chiller x3

Do you bottle at all? If so:
- adjustable bench capper
- bottle sanitizer ("vinator")
- bottle rinser sink attachment

Other stuff:
- PH Meter if you want to start messing with water chemistry
- refractometer
- carboy drying stand
- more primaries (I have 2 pails and 5 big carboys)
- hop spider

wort chiller x3

Do you bottle at all? If so:
- adjustable bench capper
- bottle sanitizer ("vinator")
- bottle rinser sink attachment

Other stuff:
- PH Meter if you want to start messing with water chemistry
- refractometer
- carboy drying stand
- more primaries (I have 2 pails and 5 big carboys)
- hop spider
I don't need bottling stuff. Refractometer and a hop spider are good choices

oxygen stone
This is something that I've been considering. Did you notice any differences in your beer?

To make life easier, I picked up a bucket heater from allied precision. What I do with it is I fill my hot liquor tank with my total volume of water 3-4 hours before I want to brew then put the heater in my water. By the time I was going to brew, my water is at or close to strike temps. You can also plug it into a timer to start before you get home from work or wake up. It's saved me time and propane. It cost me $35 on Amazon. I don't regret it one bit.

since you have a chiller, I vote on a chugger pump with a good assortment for silicone hoses and camlocks. Your back will thank you. My second vote would be a stir plate.

Whats the budget? Id shoot for a Digital temp controller for now, and get a freezer down the road (craigslist) and use it as a ferm chamber..One of my best investments in homebrewing..

Wont really make your life easier but will improve your beer and it will thank you...

Whats the budget? Id shoot for a Digital temp controller for now, and get a freezer down the road (craigslist) and use it as a ferm chamber..One of my best investments in homebrewing..

Wont really make your life easier but will improve your beer and it will thank you...
do you have a recommended model of controller?

If you don't mind doing the wiring yourself, the STC-1000 is the accepted go-to brand (~$20). Actually I think Rebel Brewer sells that model or a similar one that they will wire for you for additional cost.

The Johnson digital controller seems to be the first choice for those who only need to cool or heat (not both), and want something that comes pre-wired (~$80).

I splurged a bit and got the Ranco dual band wired controller (~$140), which is set up to control both cooling and heating

you're gonna need to get a copy of CLUTCH "earth rocker" and a hi-fi system to play it on for brew day. mcintosh, jm labs, genesis, etc..

do you have a recommended model of controller?

i use the johnson A419 controller...its a simple plug and play unit, i took that route cause ive got to many other projects going on so it was just easier for me. alot of people will build there own but ive been super happy with the A419..

I'd like to update this thread (after many acquisitions) and say that the two things that have made my life better are a stir plate and a water bucket heater. I made the stir plate from a cpu fan, and I use the heater to pre heat mash and sparge water. Both are great!

Latest posts

Back